U Aung Hla
- Saya is an early native Professor of Mathematics at the University of Rangoon.
- Wrote musical notes for Burmese songs.
- Spouse : Daw May Than (distinguished vocalist)
- Son : Mya Than (Lead Guitarist)
- Sons : Dr. Thein Maung (EENT), Dr. Tin Maung (UCC, DCS, ICST).
- Senior lecturer
- Served as Minister of Education in the Caretaker Government
- Later, Rector of the University of Rangoon
U Ba Toke
- Saya studied at Mandalay University and Harvard University.
- Joined the faculty at the University of Rangoon
- Taught Mathematics to Science and Engineering students
- Professor of Mathematics at RASU
- Rector at MASU.
- Voluntarily requested transfer to RIT as Professor of Mathematics.
- Camp Commander of a Lu Ye Camp
- Member of the RU Sports Council
- Leader of the Burma Olympic Team.
- His life journey is recorded in the book by Maung Thin Char (Dr. Khin Maung Swe).
Dr. Chit Swe
- Saya studied at Mandalay University, University of London and University of Liverpool.
- Founded Universities’ Computer Center (UCC) with the help of Saya U Soe Paing, Saya U Myo Min and Saya U Ko Ko Lay (GBNF).
- During the planning stage, the volunteers of the UCC project had to use some rooms at the Department of Mathematics in RASU, and conducted orientation and training courses at Mandalay Hall.
- Saya allowed me to work on several of his projects : High School Mathematics, Children’s Treasury of Knowledge (CTK) and Team of System Specialists (TOSS).
Rangoon Institute of Technology
Mathematics teachers at RIT include
- U Sein Shan (Lecturer and Head of the RIT Mathematics)
- U Shwe Hlaing (Chemical Engineer, Mathematician)
Taught Engineering Mechanics
- U Tun Shein
Kyant Ba Hone Aung Myint is also called “Delta Tun Shein”
- U Ko Gyi
- Daw Khin Nwe Yee
Recently celebrated her 89th birthday
- Daw Khin Lay Myint
- U Hla Myint
Transferred from RASU to succeed U Shwe Hlaing
- U Hlaing Oo
- U Thein Han (Burma Basketball Selected)
- U Aung
- Daw Khine Nyan
- Daw Myint Nyan
Note : There are many sayas who taught Mathematics at RIT after we graduated.
- Sayagyi U Ba Toke (Professor)
- Dr. Saw Tin (Head of Department)
- Daw Myint Myint (Head of Department)
- U Net
Daughter : Khin Ma Mar
Grand son : Wunna Ko Ko
- Dr. Ba Kyi
He and Saya Chit were two sayas with Maths doctorates in the mid 1960s
- U Ba Min (SPHS56)
Masters at the University of California at Berkeley
Taught Mathematics and Astronomy at RASU and MASU
Due to medical reasons, he resigned when he was transferred to Myitkyina College
Opened a shop in Mandalay Zay Cho. One day, some Japanese students visited their shop. They were surprised that U Ba Min was a classmate of their professor. They took photos to show them to their professor.
Sayas from various Departments
Met several sayas from RASU (Rangoon Arts and Science University and its affiliated Colleges), Institute of Education, Institute of Economics, BERB (Burma Education Research Bureau) and worked with some of them. They include
- U Tin Hlaing
- U Sein Min
- U Ko Lay
- U Hla Myint
- Dr. Khin Maung Win
- Dr. Thein Myint
- Dr. Kyaw Thein
- Dr. Khin Maung Swe (Maung Thin Char)
Spouse : Myint Myint Khaing
- Daw Myint Myint Khaing
Father : Arzani Mahan Ba Khaing
- Dr. Kyaw Nyunt
- Dr. Saw Tin
- Dr. Pyke Tin
- U Soe Nyunt
Spouse : Khin Ma Ma
- Daw Khin Ma Ma
- U Soe Min
- U Soe Naing
- U Sein Win (Astronomy)
- Dr. Sein Win
Father : Arzani U Ba Win
Doctorate from Germany
- U Maung Maung Tin
- U Aung Sein
Holds the record for highest marks in Honors exam
- Daw Myint Myint
- Dr. Min Oo (SPHS63)
Second in the Matriculation examination in 1963
Lu Ye Chun in 1965
Later a Staff saya at a Lu Ye Chun Camp
Received two doctorates in Mathematics from Germany
Taught in Canada, Germany and as Visiting Professor in USA.
- Dr. Zaw Win (from Nyaung Oo)
Second in the Matriculation examination in the early 70s.
Doctorate from the same school as Min Oo.
Members of the Mathematics Curriculum Committee include
- U Ba Shan
- U Myint Than
- U Myint Thein (now Dr.)
- U Kyaw Soe (now Dr.)
- U Yan Naing
- U Aung Zaw
Transferred to UCC as Systems Programmer.
MSc (Computer Science), University of Southampton in the UK.
Training at the University of California at Santa Cruz
Taught at UCC before moving to CSO
Taught at Assumption University in Bangkok and in Sydney, Australia
Wrote two books : “Bawa and Dhamma” and “Cetana Thi Thar Kan“.
- Dr. Tin Maung
Succeeded Dr, Chit Swe as Director of UCC.
During his tenure, DCS and ICST were established.
First Rector of ICST
- Dr. Kyaw Thein
Conducted tutorial classes for our I.Sc.(A) class.
Succeeeded Dr. Tin Maung as Rector.
- Dr. Pyke Tin
Taught Computational Mathematics at ICST.
Succeeded Dr. Kyaw Thein as Rector of ICST.
Magazine and Book
- Dr. Khin Maung Swe (Maung Thin Char) and U Soe Naing (Geometry and Puzzles) were Editors and/or Publishers of the Thin Char Sar Saung.
- Dr. Khin Maung Swe interviewed Sayagyi U Ba Toke and wrote a book about Sayagyi’s life journey.
- His spouse Daw Myint Myint Khaing transcribed the interviews.
- The book was sponsored by the RU Thin Char Mi Thar Su and was published to commemorate Sayagyi’s 90th birthday.
Categories: Start with K to O