- Luyechun stands for Outstanding Student.
- The initial Luyechun program ran from 1964 to 1988.
- The Luyechun program was revived a few years back.
Luyechun (Outstanding Student) Program was established in 1964. Eligible students from 7th Standard to 10th Standard were chosen to attend the Ngapali Luyechun Camp.
1964 Luyechuns include Ko Win Aung, Ko Oke Soe Kha (son of Saya Dr. Maung Maung Kha) from Rangoon, Ma Pwint Than (Loikaw), Ko Aung Myint (Manadalay), and Ma Mie Mie Khine (Akyab).
Luyechun Program was extended in 1965 for eligible students from Universities and Institutes. There were three Camps
- Inlay Camp for high school and university students
- Ngapali Camp for middle school students
- Rangoon “Combined” Camp
I was selected as RIT Luyechun for the Inlay Camp along with Ko Sein Shwe, Ko Zaw Min [Nawaday] and Ma Khin Than Myint Tin (Margaret).
Ko Kyaw Sein Koe (Victor Koe, GBNF), Ma Anita Aye Pe, Ko Khin Maung U and Ma Than Than Tin (Cherry Hlaing) were selected for IM(1).
Ko Tun Naung (BDS, Stereo Khit Pioneer), Ko Soe Aung (IM2, elder brother of Ko Soe Myint [UCC]), Ko Min Oo (Mathematics), Ko Ye Myint & Ma Khin Aye Than (Chemistry), Ko Myint Thein & Ko Soe Lwin (Physics), and Ko Tin Hlaing (Lay Dwin Thar Saw Chit, Burmese) were some who were selected for their disciplines.
Those from Matriculation include Ko Win Myint (later Bogyoke), Ko Aung Win (later RIT Saya), Uttam Singh (later NASA_, and Ma Pwint Than (later EPC). They joined RIT.
Others include :
Ko Aung Shwe (brother of Tekkatho Phone Naing), Ko Than Sit (Liver Foundation, GBNF), Ko Aung Kyaw Nyunt, Ko Aung Myint, Ko Thein Lwin, and Nelson Kaw.
- Several students (e.g. Dr. Khin Maung U, Dr. Thynn Thynn Lynn, Daw Mie Mie Khine) were selected Luyechun multiple times.
- Some sayas from Universities and High Schools were chosen to manage the Luyechuns.
e.g. U Aung Gyi (MASU), Daw Po (RASU), Dr. May May Yi (IM2)
- Dr. Min Oo (SPHS63, Mathematics) was selected Luyechun in 1965 and later as a Staff Saya.
- Saya U Thein Han (Zawgyi), Saya Dr. Nyi Nyi and U Thu Ta (Meteorology) were Guest Speakers at the Inlay Luyechun Camp.
- In the mid 80s, Saya U Kyaw Myint and I were Guest Speakers at the Nagapali Lu Ye Chun Camp.
- Luyehun project ended in 1988.
- A few years back, an Association was formed for Lu Ye Chuns from 1964 to 1988.
- The 7th Annual General Meeting was held online in January 2021.
Categories: K - O