- The astronomers studied and mapped the space objects such as stars and comets first with the naked eye and then with the help of telescopes (optical, radio, …).
- Before the advent of the communication satellites and GPS (Global Positioning System), seafarers had to rely on their knowledge of astronomy for navigation.
- Greenwich is known for its observatory and the adoption of GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).
- UCT (Universal Coordinated Time) is now preferred.
- Edmund Halley is an Astronomer Royal known for the discovery of Halley’s comet.
- Mark Twain’s birth and death coincided with the two visits of Halley’s comet.
- AstroPhysics and AstroBiology are some disciplines using Astronomy.
U Ba Min
- Saya U Ba Min (SPHS 56) joined the Mathematics Department.
- He studied for his MS in Mathematics and Astronomy at the University of California at Berkeley in the US.
- He later resigned citing medical reasons when he was transferred to Myitkyina College.
- He opened a shop in Zay Gyo in Mandalay.
One day, a group of Japanese visited his shop.
They were surprised to learn that U Ba Min was a classmate of their Professor back in the US.
They took a photo to show to their professor.
Other Sayas who taught Astronomy
- Saya U Soe Min, and Saya U Sein Win are some Mathematics sayas who taught Astronomy at RASU.
- Sayagyi U Min Wun (Civil) is well versed in both Western and Eastern Astronomy.
- Saya U Aye Win Kyaw (C70, GBNF) taught Astronomy at MARB.