- Analog may stand for “a person or an object which may be compared to another”.
- An analogy is a comparison of two things that are similar.
- An analog device uses information represented by a continuous variable.
- An analog thermometer measures temperature via the expansion of the mercury in its bulb.
- The analog speedometer displays the speed of a car via the needle on its dial.
- Some early computers are analog (e.g. Differential Analyzer).
The later computers are mostly digital.
Some computer systems are hybrid.
Analog, Digital and Converters
- There are tools to convert analog signals to digital, and vice versa.
- ADC is a tool to convert Analog to Digital.
- DAC is a tool to convert Digital to Analog.
- The sounds produced by a musical instrument are analog.
- Analog information may be digitized by using appropriate sampling techniques.