Maung Maung Kyi
Best friend and Best man
- Maung Maung Kyi is named after his parents : U Maung Maung (medical doctor) and Daw Kyi Kyi.
- Eldest of eight siblings
- My Classmate at SPHS and I.Sc.(A)
- My Crew mate at RUBC
- My best friend
- Scored the highest marks in Chemistry in the first ever High School Final (HSF) only examination in 1962
- Stood 11th in Burma — with distinctions in Mathematics and Chemistry and high marks in the remaining subjects — in the Matriculation of 1963
- Won Collegiate Scholarship of 75 Kyats a month
- We attended I.Sc.(A) at Leik Khone
- We rowed as crew mates at RUBC.
We were runner-up in the Senior Novices at the Monsoon Regatta.
We were awarded Full Green.
- The Universities were closed following the first Anniversary celebration of 7th July.
- Maung Maung Kyi and Kyaw Wynn accepted Scholarship to study Engineering in Germany
- Maung Maung Kyi specialized in Pulp and Paper as part of his Chemical Engineering studies for Dip. Ing.
- After his return, he worked for Sittang Paper Mill and PCIC.
Found his soul mate Khin May Than (ChE72)
- Was Best Man at our wedding in June 1973 along with my cousin U Thaung Lwin (EC66)
- Maung Maung Kyi and Khin May Than moved to Wales, UK
- Both their sons became Medical doctors.
- Rimon, their elder son, became a Squadron Leader in the Royal Air Force (RAF)
He led Rescue Teams.
A few years back, they lost Rimon in an avalanche.
RAF notified Maung Maung Kyi and Khin May Than who were on the way to visit Myanmar. They heard the sad news a short time after they had landed in Yangon, and had to hurry back to the UK for their son’s last journey.
- After that, Maung Maung Kyi rarely spoke and smiled.
Khin May Than painted and took walks twice a day to ease the aches and pains.
Decided to move to Ogmore-by-the-sea.
- Gave their old house to their second son, also medical doctor who had spent time in Japan and had come back to see his parents.
Trip to UK
- In September 2017, we visited the United Kingdom.
My previous visit was in 1972.
- My cousin nephew Dr. Khin Tun (Peter, GBNF) and his spouse Daw Win Mar hosted us with sumptuous dinner almost every day.
They both loved cooking.
They also drove us to Southern Wales to visit Maung Maung Kyi and Khin May Than at their new house at Ogmore-by-the-sea.
- The short but memorable reunion brought back smiles to Maung Maung Kyi.