By Saya U Khin
Dear Hla Min,
I have been an ardent “fan” of your RIT Newsletter updates ever since you included me in your mailing list at the suggestion of (Saya) Des Rodgers many many years ago.
You have made a great contribution to the RIT community by bringing the RIT alumni, sayas and sayamas together through your reports, messages, photos, etc. in the RIT Newsletter and also through your persistent efforts in carrying on the good work against all odds. Who is going to fill your shoes after you retire?
I spent the best years of my life (1964 ~ 1968) at the RIT and I cherish the good old days I had at the RIT with my former colleagues at the English Department such as Saya Desmond Rodgers, Saya U Win Mra, Saya U Joe Ba Maung, Saya Sao Kangyi (deceased), Saya U Kyaw Lwin Hla, Sayama Daw Yin Yin Mya (Terry), Sayama Daw Charity Sein U, Sayama Daw Khin May Lwin (Muriel), Sayama Daw Tin Tin Oo (Toni), Sayama Daw Khin Saw Tint (Anne), among others; my former colleagues at other engineering departments and non-engineering departments such as Saya U Tin Maung (Civil), Saya U Christopher Maung (Civil), Saya Allen Htay (civil), Saya Dr K.C. Khoo (Chemical), among others; and my former students Tin Tin Myint (Emma), Khin Phyu Latt (Christine), Tin Tin Hla (Su Tin), Sai Kham Sang, Pamela Myo Min, George Lim, among others.
I hope you will have a great time at the birthday party that will be hosted in your honor on August 20th, 2016 at Half Moon Bay, California, by your former classmates, colleagues, sayas and sayamas.
I shall also be wishing you a happy birthday in absentia from this part of the world, and hope you will have many happy and healthy returns of the day in the years to come.
Lucian Chen (Saya U Khin)
- Saya Des and Saya U Khin were Scrabble Champions at the tournaments held at Guardian premises and YMCA.
Chambers Dictionary and Jones Pronouncing Dictionary were used to confirm/deny the word challenges. They were always present on Saya U Khin’s desk.
- Saya U Win Mra won Medals in Pole Vault before he was asked to “retire” by the doctors.
He and Saya Des are excellent guitarists and singers.
He joined the Foreign Service.
He was Myanmar’s Ambassador to the United Nations.
He is Chair of the Myanmar Human Rights Commission.
- Saya Joe Ba Maung (GBNF) was Burma’s Tennis Champion in Men’s Singles and Doubles, and Mixed Doubles.
He joined Burma Railways as a Manager.
He was also in charge of Sports.
He was a victim of 8-8-88 purges.
- Saya Sao Kangyi (Tony, GBNF) wrote with the pen name “Khemarat”.
- Saya U Kyaw Lwin Hla transferred to UNDP.
- Sayama Daw Yin Yin Mya (Terry) migrated to Australia.
She was a Beauty Queen in her college days.
- Sayama Daw Charity Sein U later became Head of the RIT English Department.
Met her briefly at SPZP-2012.
- Met Sayama Daw Khin May Lwin (Muriel )when she and Saya U Aung (Alphoso) visited Saya U Tin Maung Nyunt.
We had a couple of lunch gatherings.
- Sayama Daw Tin Tin Oo (Toni) is a cousin of Ko Thet Tun (Henry, M 75).
Their aunt Dr. Khin Kyi Nyunt is the spouse of Saya U Tin U.
Met her briefly at SPZP-2012 and several times in 2019.
She is a Khamee Khamet of Saya U Win Mra.
- Sayama Daw Khin Saw Tint (Anne) published several books/booklets.
She is a bilingual author.
Her mom Daw Khin Saw Mu was a “Khit San” poet.
Her uncles are ICS U Tin Tut, U Kyaw Myint (Head of Tribunal for Galon U Saw’s case), U Myint Thein (former Chief Justice and writer/translator “MMT”), and Dr. Htin Aung (former Rector and author of several books about Burma and Burmans).
Her aunts are Daw Khin Mya Mu (Kyauksar expert) and Sayama Daw Tin Saw Mu (English).