Video Broadcast : #193
January 13, 2021
Sayagyi U Ba Hli
- MS in Civil Engineering from UK
- Professor of Civil Engineering at GTI and RU
- Principal of Government Technical Institute
- First native Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, Rangoon University
- Proponent of the “Twinning Program” with prestigious universities in the USA (e.g. MIT, Harvard)
- Passed away in Yangon
- The photo appeared in the RUESU (Rangoon University Engineering Students Union) Annual Magazine.
- For the HMEE-2012 project, Saya U Ba Than requested U Thaw Kaung (Retired Chief Librarian of the Rangoon University Central Library) to provide Saya U Soe Paing and team to access the library archives and scan relevant documents.
- Saya Bilal Raschid, son of H.E. M A Raschid, graduated with Civil Engineering at Rangoon University.
He then went to UK to study Architecture in the UK.
He taught at the Architecture department before relocating to USA.
- Saya Bilal sent two photos of Saya U Ba Hli.
- One photo shows Saya U Ba Hli in uniform (khaki pants, white shirt, tie and optional hat).
- Another photo shows Saya U Ba Hli in formal attire at a function.
Some Recipients of the Twinning Program
- Dr. Aung Gyi (Civil) : BS and MS from MIT
- U Min Wun (Civil) : BS at MIT and MS from Cornell
- Dr. San Hla Aung (Civil) : MS from MIT
- U Allen Htay (Civil, GBNF) : MS from Harvard
- U Aung Khin (Mech) : BS and MS from Lehigh
- U San Tun (Mech) : MS from MIT
- U Tin Hlaing (Mech, GBNF) : MS from Purdue
- U Sein Hlaing (Elec, GBNF) : MS from MIT
- U Tin Swe (Elec, GBNF) : MS from Michigan
- U Khin Aung Kyi (ChE, GBNF) : BS and BS from MIT
- U Maung Maung Than (Tex, GBNF) : BS from Clemson and MS from Lowell
- U Thit (Met, GBNF) : BS from Lehigh
Three Generation of Engineers
- Sayagyi U Ba Hli
- Son : Saya Dr. Freddie Ba Hli (EE, GBNF)
Sc.D in EE from MIT
Mentor to Dr. Aung Gyi and U Min Wun (early recipients of the Twinning Program) at MIT
Part-time Lecturer, Electrical Engineering, Rangoon University
Director General of UBARI
Advisor, Ministry of National Planning
Member, UCC Advisory Board
Passed away in Australia
- Grandson : U Tha Hlaing (EC83)
Joint First in Final year with U Thaung Tin (KMD, EC83)
- In 2006, during my visit to Sydney, Saya U Aung Zaw (UCC) hosted a gathering to pay respect to Saya Dr. Freddie Ba Hli and Saya Dr. Chit Swe (Founder/Director of UCC, Retired Rector of RASU, GBNF).
- Seated in the middle are Saya Dr. F Ba Hli and spouse Daw Myint Thwe, Saya Dr. Chit Swe and spouse Daw Khin Khin Latt (Ma Ma Mi).
- Daw Myint Thwe is the sister of Saya U Tin U (C), Saya U Ba Than (M), Dr. “Ruby” Win Hlaing, Dr. Myo Tint, U Tin Htoon (A60), Saya U Myo Min (UCC), U Thaung Lwin (EC66) and Daw Cho Cho Hlaing.
- Saya U Aung Zaw and spouse Daw Tint Tint Wai (Ma Kyawt) are seated to the right.
U Aung Zaw later wrote two books : “Bawa and Dhamma” and “Cetana Thi Tha Kan”.
The True Love Story (of how Ma Kyawt donated her kidney to Saya Zaw) is covered in the first book.
I edited the books. I wrote the Preface for the first book. I contributed a section (based on U Aung Zaw’s ideas) in the second book.
- Daw Tin Tin Hlaing (UCC, spouse of U Htay Aung (EC80, UCC)) is the eldest child of Saya Dr. F. Ba Hli.
- U Htay Aung is the nephew of Saya U Sein Hlaing (Retired Professor of Electrical Engineering, RIT, GBNF).
- U Tha Hlaing is the second child and elder son of Saya Dr. F. Ba Hli.
- Min Thet Tun (GBNF) is the youngest child and younger son of Saya Dr. F. Ba Hli.