Video Broadcast : #182
January 8, 2021
- Private Boundary Road School
Daw Ku Paw, Daw Kywe, Daw Yi Yi, Daw Khin Khin Aye
- St. Paul’s High School
Ms. A Benjamin, Mrs. V Boudville, Ms. Amelia Kyi (Miss Hong Kong), Brother Xavier, Brother Austin
- I.Sc. (A)
Daw Tinsa Maw-Naing, Daw Khin Khin Kyi
- 2nd BE
Mr. Des Rodgers (Primary), Sao Kan Gyi, U Khin, U Win Mra
- Our main English Teacher in our 2nd BE Class in 1964 – 65.
- Chief Editor of the RIT English Association Newsletter.
- Core organizer of debates (in English) between 1st BE and 2nd BE students.
e.g. “Money is the Root of All Evils”
“Are we happier than our forefathers?”
- Played on the RIT Saya soccer team.
- Accomplished musician : guitarist and vocalist, a regular on the BBS Variety Show.
Would often play with Saya U Win Mra (Burma’s Elvis Presley in his younger days).
- Won Singles and Doubles tournaments in Scrabble.
Held at Guardian, YMCA and RIT.
- Did post-graduate studies in the UK.
- Moved to Canada.
- Taught “English as a Specialty Language” and other English courses.
- Set up a consultancy firm
- Published a book on English words that have been “selected” from contemporary news media and magazines. I helped catch some typos (which would go into an amendment).
- Conducted on-line courses to students (mostly outside Canada).
- Published two books.
- The first book selected words from the contemporary publications (news media and magazines), provided definitions and usage.
Synonyms and antonyms are given.
- Sent his book by air mail.
Sadly, I received only the envelope.
So he sent a second time using registered/insured option.
The mailing costs are prohibitive.
Cost more than the sales price of the book.
- E-mailed back typos in the book to Saya.
They will be corrected in a future edition.
- Memories of PBRS
- Memories of SPHS
- Articles on RIT English
by Saya Des
- RIT English Sayas and Sayamas
by Saya U Khin
- RIT Saya Soccer Team
by Saya U Soe Paing