Video Broadcast: #038
Text Update : January 16, 2020
- Studied Myanmar History and World History in middle school and 8th Standard.
- Saya Patheda U Htay Myint compiled study guides.
- Learned “Computer History” from Dr. Harry D. Huskey (Chair of Computer Science at UCSC) during his visits to UCC.
- Joined CHM (Computer History Museum) and served as a volunteer Docent for a couple of years.
- Contributing member of HMEE-2012 (History of Myanmar Engineering Education) project.
U Ohn Khine (M70) and I compile the CD supplement for the book published in time for SPZP-2012.
- Audited several on-line courses on History and related topics.
Dr. Kyaw Thet
- Studied in UK
- Taught in Burma and as Visiting Professor in the USA
- Spouse : Daw Khin Khin Gyi (GBNF) taught History at Rangoon University and a US College
- Children :
U Lyn Maung Thet (GBNF)
Dr. Khin Nyo Thet (MEHS63)
Dr. Lyn Aung Thet (MEHS64)
Daw Khin Aye Thet (GBNF)
- Dr. Khin Nyo Thet and spouse Dr. Lyn Swe Aye established the “Aye-Thet Scholarship” in Khin Aye Thet’s memory.
Prizes are awarded to successful participants at the Summer Dhamma Camp at Dhammananda Vihara, Half Moon Bay, California, USA.
Sponsors from Theravada Buddhist Society of America (TBSA) and donors also helped run the Camp.
- Dr, Lyn Aung Thet and Dr. Cherry Hlaing (Than Than Tin, St. John’s Convent) were tied for the highest marks in the Matriculation examination of 1964.
Dr. Cherry Hlaing won the tie breaker with a perfect ILA score.
Both were selected Tekkatho Lu Ye Chun from IM(1).
Dr. Lyn Aung Thet led the Institute of Medicine (1) Swimming and Water Polo team (which won Inter-Institute Trophy).
He is also good at Tennis and Chess.
U Ba Nyunt
- History Professor
- Known for his song “Chit Dukkha“
- Children are Ah Nu Pyinnya Shins:
Win Oo (aka Hla Myint, Ko Oo)
- Inspired Dr. Khin Maung Nyunt to be a History Professor.
Bohmu Ba Shin
- Retired as Colonel
- Head of the Burma Historical Commission
- Spouse : Sayama
Dr. Nyan Htein (Texas)
Dr. Than Tun
- History Professor at the University of Rangoon
- Visiting Professor in Japan and Northern Illinois University (NIU)
- Was a vocal critic of sayas being asked to do “extra” work not related to studies and research
- First met Saya as a Char Taik.
My uncle Saya U Than Lwin (GBNF) introduced him at the Recreation Center.
- His son-in-law attended classes at UCC.
Dr. Khin Maung Nyunt
- He was excellent in English and History.
- He wanted to be a diplomat.
While waiting to sit for the examination (by the Foreign Office), he applied to be a saya at the English Department.
English Professor U Myo Min suggested that he should join the History Department.
History Professor U Ba Nyunt asked him — with full confidence — to be a relieving saya for him.
The rest is history.
- Even after retirement as Director General, he continued teaching …