Video Broadcast : #
September 24, 2020
- Studied up to 8th Standard
- Geography of Burma / Myanmar
- Geography of the world
- Climatic interpretation
L Dudley Stamp
- Professor of Geography and Geology at Rangoon University (1923 – 26)
- Professor, Geography Economics, London School of Economics
- Chairman, Social Geography, LSE
- Land Use Survey (of Britain with student volunteers)
- Authored several books and research papers
- One book was a prescribed text in Burma in the early days.
- Lectured to the first year students at LSE (London School of Economics) instead of delegating to his assistants. His rationale : “A major subject can be taught by any qualified teacher, but a minor subject should be introduced by a motivated, senior teacher. The class could be the sole exposure in their academic career; so it is important to give the students an excellent overview of the subject.”
Geography learned at school
- Took World Geography and Burmese Geography in Middle School and a year in High School.
- Studied Contouring and Climatic Interpretation.
- Padetha U Htay Myint taught us Geography and History.
- Dr. Daw Thin Kyi is the first native Professor of Geography.
She is also one of the early female Professors at Rangoon University.
Expert in Land Use
- Dr. Tin Htoo
Retired as Professor
- U Kyaw transferred as Principal of Worker’s College.
- I worked as a volunteer assistant for Saya U Hla Tun Aung, who was in charge of the “Zay Nay Yar Cha Htar Yee Committee” for the Rangoon University Golden Jubilee Celebrations in 1970. Among those who applied for permits include U Maung Maung Tar (Academy winning actor, trying to sell his line of make up) and the Playboys (Than Naing, Thein Tan).
Saya proposed new course requiring statistical analysis.
- Saya Dr. U Win attended UCC courses before going for his graduate studies in the US.
Collaboration with sayas from the Institute of Economics.
Doctorate in Water Resource Management
He later specialized in Geographical Information Systems (GIS).
He was the last speaker for the conferences held by Burma Research Society (BRS). The higher authorities entered the room and announced that “BRS would be dismantled the following day”.
- See album and posts in “Gangaw Myay Yar Pyie”