High School Physics
Yupa Beda (HSF)
- We took “Yupa Beda” in the first ever HSF Only examination in 1962.
- The text was authored by Saya Dr. Maung Maung Kha and Saya U San Tha Aung.
- Ko Chu Pu Thein (SPHS) scored the highest marks in “Yupa Beda”.
After matriculation, he left to study in Europe probably due to the 3 NRC rule.We took Physics in the first ever Matriculation Only examination in 1963.
- We took “Physics” in the first ever Matriculation Only examination in 1963.
- One of the texts was by Sen and Gupta.
SPHS Library had reference books, e.g. Sears and Zemansky
- Dr. Khin Maung U scored “only” 99.
Grapevine says that the examiners reluctantly took away a point from his perfect score.
He stood First in 299/300 in Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics.
He worked as a Medical Researcher and Professor.
He retired from FDA.
- My elder brother and his friends had to sit for the HSF and Matriculation (Combined) examination.
- After passing the examination, they were admitted to Intermediate College (e.g. Yankin College) of Rangoon University.
- Unfortunately, we had to sit for separate HSF and Matriculation examinations.
- We took the subjects for the HSF examination in Burmese (except for English).
- We took the subjects for the Matriculation examination in English (except for Burma),
- We lost one year in the process, but learned some “Translation”.
Top Matriculates who pursued Physics
- Dr. Hla Shwe (Boon Chiong, Yegyaw Methodist 1953), First in Burma
- Dr. Than Myint (Harry Wang, SPHS 1956), Joint Third in Burma
- Dr. Htin Kyaw (Sacred Heart 1957), First in Burma
- Dr. Htin Aung (Sacred Heart 1957), Sixth in Burma
- U Robert Sein (SPHS58), Second in Burma
- Dr. Frankie Ohn (Hla Tin Ngwe, SPHS59), First in Burma
Some Sayas and Sayamas
- Dr. Maung Maung Kha studied in UK for his Ph.D. in Meteorological Physics.
- Worked for a while in Meteorology Department.
- Joined Physics Department of Rangoon University.
- Saya served as Professor and later as Rector of Rangoon University, RASU and Universities’ Distance Learning.
- Patron of the RU Ah Nu Pyinnya Ah Thin.
- Accomplished violinist.
Accompanied Saya U Ba Kyi to sing “Only Two Darling” (rendition of “Hna Yauk Hte Nay Chin Hte” in English).
- Attended RUBC Regattas and handed over Trophies (during my tenure at RUBC as Treasurer, Vice Captain and emcee/announcer).
- His family members and former colleagues and students (Saya U Oo Khin Maung, Sayama Daw Thida, …) celebrated Saya’s Centennial with fund raising concerts and commemorative magazine.
U San Tha Aung
- Received A.M (Physics) from Harvard University.
- Served as Director of Higher Education.
- Passed away after returning from an inspection tour.
- Co-author of Saya Kha for Physics Texts in Burmese and English for use in High School.
Dr. Tin Aung
- Dr. Hla Shwe (Boon Chiong), Dr. Tin Maung and Dr. Tin Aung studied in USA for their doctorates.
Dr. Hla Shwe and Dr. Tin Maung moved to the USA.
- Saya Dr. Tin Aung taught the longest at RU and served as Professor.
- Elected “in absentia” as a Patron of the “Saya’s Association” during 8-8-88 movement.
- Was in an education mission to US at that time.
- Upon his return, Saya was “asked to retire” by the higher authorities.
Kan Soe Kan Kaung Sayas
- In the late 60’s, several Physics sayas were selected to study in the Soviet Nation and other East Bloc nations.
They were not in high spirits.
They were surprised to learn that they would eventually study in UK. Grapevine says that four Burmese state scholars in GDR (German Democratic Republic, then East Germany) led protests in front of the Burmese Embassy denouncing BSPP and the government. The higher authorities were alarmed and probably concluded that it was safer to send scholars to UK.
According to Saya U Thein Tan (Civil), he was selected to study in the USSR, but did not get visa (due to the political climate at that time). He ended up studying at the University of Birmingham in the UK.
My Physics Teachers
- Saya Beatson (at SPHS)
Became Uzin after retirement
- Mehm Than Thaung (Maurice Tun Thaung, RUBC Gold) in I.Sc.(A)
Retired as Rector of Universities’ Distance Learning
- Daw Khin Khin Su in I.Sc.(A)
- Daw Nyein in 2nd BE
Passed away at 100+ years young
- Daw May Than Nwe (Joyce) in 2nd BE.
Passed away in Singapore within a few months of her husband Saya U Thein Lwin (EE)
- U Thein Aung (Micky Tan, SPHS59, RUBC Gold)
Recruited students and sayas (Dr. Htin Kyaw & Dr. Htin Aung [twins], …) to join RUBC.
- U Kyaw Myint (Director, DHE)
Fellow Guest Speaker at the Ngapali Luyechun Camp in 1988
Has a Foundation named after him
- U Tin Oo Hlaing and U Kaung Nyunt served as Principals of College
- U Kyaw Mya Thein retired from ICST.
- Daw Nyunt Nyunt Win became Registrar of RASU.
- U Saw Hlaing, U Kin Sein, and Mehm Than Thaung transferred to the administrative positions user the Ministry of Education.
- U Hlwan Moe and U Tha Hlaing succeeded Sayamagyi Daw Nyein as Head of RIT Physics.