Update : February 6, 2021
- In 1958, the Care Taker Government (which staged the First Coup according to U Nu) promised to hold General Elections within six months.
- It was the first of countless Broken Promises.
- In March 1962, the 17-man Revolutionary Council staged a Coup purporting to save the country from the “brink” of falling into the “abyss”.
- It created the Burmese Way to “Nowhere” that relegated the “Rice Bowl of Asia” to LDC (Least Developed Country).
- It created Second and Third Class Citizens.
- In 1988, the Authoritarian Party promised to restore Multi-party Democracy.
- he peaceful protests were crushed.
- SLORC took over.
- General Saw Maung promised to return to the barracks after holding fair elections.
- Too many Dark Moments for nearly six decades.
- The Army once had a General and four Brigadiers (including a Navy Commodore and an Air Force Brigadier).
- It has become Top Heavy.
- The BSPP era elections had a white box close by and a black box placed far away (mostly) behind a raised curtain.
- In the eyes of the World Leaders, the Army had defied their Constitution and betrayed their Country.
- Beware of false promises.