Update : January 26, 2021
- Many years ago, I wrote a poem “The Phaungdaw-u Festival” for the Thadinkyut Supplement of Working People’s Daily (WPD).
- I visited Inlay Lake four times.
- My first visit was in the summer of 1965. I was selected as Tekkatho Luyechun for the Inlay Khaung Daing Camp.
- My second visit was in October, 1965. I accompanied Ko Aung Kyaw (Peter Pe, SPHS, Movie Star) and Ko Maung Maung Aye (SPHS, IM1, GBNF) to Inlay and Taunggyi. Peter’s cousins (including a medical doctor) live in In Paw Khone in Inlay. Peter’s uncle U Maung Maung Latt was Ah Mat Choke in Taunggyi. We saw first hand the famous Phaungdaw-u Festival.
- My third visit was made a few years back. We took a tour package (air travel to He Ho airport, hotel, car and boat) to Inlay. We stayed at a hotel in Inlay and then visited selected places in a chartered boat. We were sad to see the declining state of Inlay (e.g. water level). We also spent some time in Taunggyi and the nearby cave in Ho Pone.
- My fourth visit was in January 2020 at the end of the Myanmar PSA (Public Speakers Association) Tour to Upper Myanmar.