Update : January 26, 2021
- In the early days, there were many newspapers, several news agencies and reporters.
- Nation U Law Yone, Guardian U Sein Win, UPI U Ba Than, Oway U Nyo Mya, Bama Khit & later Mogyo U Ohn Khin, Ludu U Hla and Daw Ah Mar are some of the journalists and/or publishers.
- After 1962, there were only six newspapers : four in Burmese and two in English. They had to print news supplied by News Agency Burma (NAB), which collected news from the news agencies and selectively translated them.
- There was a silver lining. Working People’s Daily (WPD) and Guardian had interesting columns and Supplements.
- U Khin Maung Latt served as the first Chief Editor of WPD. His successors include U Than Saw and U Ko Lay.
- U Ko Ko (Charles, father of U Ko Lay (RUBC Gold, Chief Editor of WPD) wrote the “Motley” column.
- WPD had a Sunday Supplement and special issues (e.g. for Thadinkyut, Sar So Daw Nay). It featured Translation of Modern Burmese Writings (e.g. Short Stories, Poems). I received fifty Kyats for translating “Nge Thay Loe” (short story by U Thu Kha). U Thu Kha was given fifty kyats.
- Daw Khin Swe Hla (Editor at WPD) wanted to encourage fledgling writers. She earlier founded the “Dawlay’s Circle” at Guardian and held Essay Contests for young writers. The winners included Dr. Hla Yee Yee (MEHS61), Dr. Winsome Ba Thike (MEHS61) and her sister Dr, Katherine Ba Thike, Errol Than Tun (Uzin Bobby Myo Tun, A69), LRC Trutwein and Dr. Tin Maung Aung. The subsequent “Dawlays” include Mr. Tim Marshall and Mr. P. Aung Khin (Paul). Hazel Kyaw Zaw has posted her writing in the Guardian’s Campus Section in 1972.
- U Soe Myint transferred from WPD to Guardian as Chief Editor. He is the eldest son of U Thein Maung (Htin Lin) and the son-in-law of U Than Saw.
- My poem “Men on the Moon” honoring the Apollo 11 astronauts was published in the Guardian in July 1969. Ashin Ananda gave a copy of my poem to Mr. Hall (USIS), who forwarded to NASA. Mr Hall also put me on the USIS mailing list. I received “Lin Yaung Chi” and translations of selected books. I became a free lance writer. I received fifteen Kyats for writing poems, articles, translation of poems in WPD, Guardian and Forward Magazine.
- The later magazines (Pan, Veda) offered 25 – 50 Kyats.
- A few years ago, I became a Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM).