Update : January 23, 2021
Universities’ Computer Center (UCC)
- UCC was founded by Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe (GBNF) with the help of Saya U Soe Paing, Saya U Myo Min and Saya U Ko Ko Lay (GBNF).
- GBNF stands for “Gone But Not Forgotten”.
- I have posted “Memories of UCC” in my web site hlamin.com and selected Facebook pages.
A summary was published in the ICST/UCSY Magazine.
Brief Biography of Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe
NATIVITY : Born on May 25, 1931 as the Third child of Lawyer U Han Tin and Daw Than in ELA (Aye Lar), Pyinmana Township.
ETHNICITY : Myanmar Shan
SIBLINGS : Daw Hla May, Captain Tin Aung, Myint Thein, Sein Lwin, Thet Oo, Khin Ma Ma
SPOUSE : Daw Khin Khin Latt (Ma Ma Mi)
CHILDREN : Moe Thu (Merle Chitswe), Thuta, Kyaw Thu (Kinsey Chitswe), Swe Latt (Cyril), Chit Khin
- Ph. D (Mathematical Statistics) Liverpool
- M. Sc (Mathematical Statistics) Glasgow
Started self-study of Computers and Programming for the development of future Burma
- B. Sc. (Special) : 1954 Imperial College of London
- B. Sc : 1951 Mandalay College, University of Rangoon
- Matriculation : 1947 Pyinmana High School
- Primary and Secondary Education : ELA Monastery School (Aye Lar Gaing Htauk Kyaung)
- Rector : 1986 – 88 University of Rangoon
- Chair : 1971 – 86 Department of Computer Science
- Founder and Director: 1971 – 76 Universities’ Computer Center (Introduced Computers and Computer Education to Burma)
- Professor and Chair : 1966 – 86 Department of Mathematics University of Rangoon (Supervised 200+ M. Sc and Ph. D theses)
- Lecturer and Head of Department : 1964 – 66 Department of Mathematics Institute of Economics
- Lecturer : 1957 – 64 Department of Mathematics Mandalay College, University of Rangoon
- Assistant Lecturer : 1955 – 57 Department of Mathematics Mandalay College, University of Rangoon
- Tutor : 1952 – 55 Department of Mathematics Mandalay College, University of Rangoon
- Senior Faculty Assumption University, Bangkok
- Consultant : 1990 – 94 ESCAP
- Senior Research Fellow Macquarie University, Sydney
Editor’s Notes :
- Sayagyi studied at Mandalay, London, Glasgow and Liverpool.
- Proponent of Life long learning, Knowledge sharing, Leapfrogging technology, Mentoring, Building trust, Establishing high quality Computer Education, Training and Applications, UTC (where he served as Commanding Officer)
- Founder/Director of UCC and Professor of Mathematics at RASU.
Graduate degree and diploma courses were offered at UCC under the aegis of the Department of Mathematics before the Department of Computer Science (DCS) and the Institute of Computer Science and Technology (ICST) were established.
- Sayagyi is my mentor. He allowed me to participate in numerous projects (e.g. Team of System Specialists, High School Mathematics, Children’s Treasury of Knowledge, PERT for implementation of UCC).
- Retired as Rector of RASU.
- Continued teaching and supervising research in Thailand and Australia.
- In November 2019, Sayagyi passed away at the tender age of 89 in Sydney, Australia.
Former students all over the world sent condolences and Garawa money for Sayagyi’s last journey.
Saya U Soe Paing
- Studied at SPHS, Faculty of Engineering (briefly), Stanford University and Southampton University.
- Won two Gold Medals for I.Sc. Combined (Highest total score, Highest Mathematics score)
- As part of the UCC project, Saya studied CS at the University of Southampton in the U.K.
- Helped found UCC and also recruited the early members (including Saya U Tun Aung Gyaw and me — also known as members of UCC Generation Zero).
- Allowed Saya U Aung Zaw and me to co-author lecture notes, reference / guides for use at UCC courses.
- Requested Ko Khin Maung Zaw and me to set up systems for getting the ex-RIT and ex-UCC get reconnected electronically and physically.
- Provided the draft for HMEE (History of Myanmar Engineering Education) Project.
Ko Ohn Khine and I compiled the CD supplement for the book
- Retired after working for UN Projects in several countries.
- Hobbies include Golfing, Meditation and Hosting parties for ex-UCC visiting Myanmar
- Wrote “Computer Ah Sa UCC Ga” and memoirs.
Saya U Myo Min
- Studied at SPHS, Faculty of Social Science and Lancaster University.
- Stood first in I.Com and B.Com (with Accounting as Specialization)
- Became a Chartered Account in U.K. and worked for IBM UK.
- Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe contacted Saya’s mother if Saya would like to help with the UCC project.
- Helped found UCC and served as Applications Manager.
- Helped government departments with computerizing business applications.
- Taught at UCC, Institute of Economics and at several training courses (for Government departments).
- As part of the UCC project, Saya studied Systems Engineering at the University of Lancaster in the UK.** Saya moved to Singapore and USA. *
- Retired after working for high tech companies.
- Saya’s interests include Abhidhamma, Meditation, Online courses and Technology Updates
Saya U Ko Ko Lay (GBNF)
- Studied at SPHS, Faculty of Engineering (briefly), Stanford University and Lancaster University.
- Classmate of Saya U Soe Paing at SPHS and Stanford University.
- Helped found UCC and served as Operations Manager.
- Later served as Manager of the Scientific Applications Division.
- Saya had the longest tenure at UCC among the four founders.
- As part of the UCC project, Saya studied Systems Engineering at the University of Lancaster in the UK.
- Served as Professor at the Department of Computer Science, University of Rangoon.
- Served as Professor of Information Science and Technology at ICST (Institute of Computer Science and Technology)
- Played volleyball, soccer, ping pong and tennis with UCC staff and students.
- Excellent English and Editing