Update : January 20, 2021
The following is a sampling of photo essays on topics starting with I.
- The following are inscriptions found on the Buildings of the University of Rangoon.
- Note that some old inscriptions use “V” instead of “U”.
Inscription from 1922
Inscription from 1927
Inscription from 1928
- The Institute of Computer Science and Technology (ICST) was established in 1987.
- Its predecessors include UCC (Universities’ Computer Center) and DCS (Department of Computer Science).
- Its successor is UCSY (University of Computer Studies in Yangon).
Acariya Pu Zaw Pwe
- There have been five Pu Zaw Pwes.
- The recent ones took place in January 2018 and December 2019.
The 30th Anniversary of ICST was celebrated in March 2018.
Bogyoke Aung San translated Henley’s poem and published in the Oway Magazine.
In the early days, there was Faculty of Medicine.
In 1964, three Institute of Medicine were opened.
- Institute of Medicine (1)
Rector : Dr. Ba Than
- Institute of Medicine (2)
Rector : Dr. U E
- Mandalay Institute of Medicine
Rector : Dr. Maung Maung Gyi
- The following matriculated in 1971.
- Due to school closures, they graduated in 1979.
Inlay / Inle
- In the summer of 1965, I attended the Inlay “Khaung Daing” Lu Ye Chun Camp as the first batch of University Lu Ye Chuns.
The Lu Ye Chun Program started in 1964 with the Ngapali Camp and folded in 1988.
- In October 1965, Ko Aung Kyaw (Peter Pe, SPHS) invited Ko Maung Maung Aye and me to a trip to In Paw Khone (village in Inlay) and Taunggyi. We were guests of Peter’s cousin (a medical doctor in Inlay) and U Maung Maung Latt (former Ah Matt Choke of Nyaung Shwe Sawbwa in Taunggyi). We attended the famous Phaung Daw-u Festival.
- In 2016, we took a package tour and visited Inlay. We were sad to see the decline in the environment, but were glad to see good hotels in and around Inlay.
- In January 2020, the Myanmar Professional Speakers Association (PSA) 2020 tour ended in a hotel beside the Inlay lake.
- Daw Su is the spouse of U Saw Lwin.
- She was the first occupant of Room No. (1) in Inya Hall.
- They have three daughters : Hazel Saw Lwin, Olive Saw Lwin and May Saw Lwin
- Daw Su danced several roles for the fund raiser of University Dhammayone.
- She was interviewed for the Commemorative Issues for Inya Hall and the University Dhammayone.
Intake of 64 Arch
- Some classes are referred to the year of Admission / Intake.
- Most of the students would graduate in 1970 with B.Arch (Bachelor of Architecture).
- Saya Sai Yee Leik was the lone student for the Class of A68 (1968 Architecture)
- There were seven students — Kyaw Kyaw, Aung Khin, Bobby Myo Tun, Toby K Ku, Thet Tun, Olive and Tin Maung Hla — for the Class of A69 (1969 Architecture).
- Saya Dr. Koung Nyunt (Kogyi Koung, A67, GBNF) contributed several articles for RIT Alumni International Newsletter and the RIT web site.
- Ko Khin Maung Oo (Ivan Lee, M69) moved to the USA.
- He has successful careers as a Professional Engineer in two states (New York and New Jersey) and as Entrepreneur.
- He is a Life Time Gold for competing in Bridge (Card game) tournaments.
- He is a Golden Sponsor for SPZP-2000 and SPZP-2007.
- He is a major donor for the RIT 69er HCF (Health Care Fund).
- For a decade (or so), he sponsored the Annual RIT-UCC Gathering in New Jersey for Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi, Saya U Soe Paing, RIT alumni and UCC alumni.
- In 2015, he hosted us for two weeks and organized a whirl wind trip to Canada to pay respect to Sayagyi U Aung Khin (in Windsor, Canada), Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi (in Napean, Canada) and to visit Buffalo, Niagara, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York on the way. Ivan provided his car and fuel. Frederick Thetgyi drove most of the trip and also took photographs.
- Industrial Chemistry was first taught by Dr. Than Htaik and his colleagues.
- Eligible IC graduates could join RIT to study ChE (Chemical Engineering).
- Inlay Luyechun
- Phaung Daw-u Festival (Poem)
- Independence Day Regatta in 1948 (by U Tin U)
- Independence Day Regatta in 1959 (by U Tun Shein, Dr. Tin Wa and Dr. Thein Htut)
- Industrial Management
- International Standards Organization (ISO)
- Institute of Foreign Languages (IFL, later UFL)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Alumni of Myanmar Institute of Medicine
- Burma Institute of Technology (BIT)
- Rangoon Institute of Technology (RIT, later YIT and YTU)