Update : January 15, 2021
- SS — Starting Salary
- AI — Annual Increment
- MS — Maximum Salary (aka Bar Sone)
- CLA — Cost of Living Allowance
Tutor (for non-Science Departments)
- Pay scale : 200 – 10 – 300
- With CLA, starting pay is 200 + 97 = 297 kyats
- Lecturing Tutor gets an additional 100 kyats
- Ad hoc Tutor gets 100 kyats
Demonstrator (for Science Departments)
- Same pay scale as Tutor
Assistant Lecturer (AL)
- Pay scale : 350 – 25 – 700
- With CLA, starting pay is 350 + 89 = 439 kyats
- Is a Gazetted Officer
- Old pay scale : 800 – 50 – 1200
- No CLA, but has access to staff shop
- Can spend 10% of salary at the staff shop
- Pay scale : 1300
- No CLA, but has access to “staff shop”
- May be eligible for a house in the Campus
- Pay scale : 1500
- Assistant Lecturers and above are Gazetted Officers.
- Details (promotions, transfers, vacation) are recorded in the Gazette.
CLA was abolished.
New positions and scales were introduced.
- A hybrid system (Professor, Associate Professor and Lecturer) was adopted instead of the more common system (Professor, Associate Professor and Assistant Professor)
- Engineering Instructor: 450 – 25 – 700 [“new” position]
- Assistant Lecturer: 450 – 25 – 700 [“new” scale]
- Lecturer: 800 – 40 – 1000 [“new” scale]
- Associate Professor: 1000 – 50 – 1200 [“new” position]
Gazetted officer : 450 scale & above
The pay raises could not keep up with the rising cost of living.
Promotions take considerably longer.
- In the early days, engineering graduates joined the Faculty of Engineering as Assistant Lecturers.
In the later days, engineering graduates have to serve as Instructors before they become Assistant Lecturers.
- In the early days, a Lecturer can get promoted to Professorship. In the later days, a Lecturer gets promoted to Associate Professor.
The Public Services Commission (PSC) took charge of the appointments of government employees.
In the old days, a University is a collection of Colleges. Most departments have a Professor, who also served as Head of the Department. Some departments were headed by Lecturers and even Assistant Lecturers.
There are now some Universities in Myanmar that do not have multiple Colleges. Some departments have several Professors.
There are some private Universities.