Update : January 12, 2021
- During our RIT days, there were about 20 sayas at the Electrical Engineering Department
- The Department offered two options : EC (Electrical Communications) and EP (Electrical Power).
- Several decades later EC and EP became Departments with their own Professors and Heads.
EC is also known as EcE or Electronics Engineering.
- The Group photo shows 15 sayas.
One was absent for the Photo Shoot.
A few were on doing further studies abroad.
- For SPZP-2010 held in Singapore, I wrote an article “A Short and Sad Clip : EE Sayas” for the Commemorative Issue of Swel Daw Yeik Sar Saung.
Saya U Moe War (Tekkatho Moe War, Chief Editor) suggested the Title.
- U Thein Lwin (who passed away a few years back) was not covered in the article.
U Kyaw Tun (GBNF)
- Group photo of the “Reunion in January 1980 of the Final Year Engineering Students in 1948 and 49” showed Sayagyi.
- Joined the Department of Electrical Engineering
- Continued teaching until his retirement.
- Recruited Saya C. Ping Lee to join EE department in 1950.
- Children : Dr. Elizabeth (Ph.D in English), Dorothy
- “Doctor” Tin Aung Win wrote about his beloved father-in-law.
C. Ping Lee (GBNF)
- Recruited by Saya U Kyaw Tun to join Electrical Engineering, BOC College.
- Transferred to the Directorate of Technical Education and Vocational Training at the request of H.E. U Than Aung (his Burmese teacher at St. Paul’s).
- Dr. Win Aung (M 62) wrote about his beloved father in the “Post Reunion” series of SPZP-2000.
- Articles by Dr. Win Aung, Saya U Htin Paw (EE 58), U Aw Taik Moh (C54), Saya Dr. San Hla Aung (C58) have references to Saya C. Ping Lee.
- Saya passed away in Berkeley, CA in 1987.
- Former students included the late Professor U Sein Hlaing.
U Sein Hlaing (GBNF)
- Top in the class of 1952
- MSEE from MIT
- Professor of Electrical Engineering
- Taught at BIT/RIT until retirement
- Passed away a few years after retirement
U Tin Swe (GBNF)
- MSEE from the University of Michigan.
- Excellent in Soccer and Tennis.
- Early Power User at the Universities’ Computer Center (UCC).
U Sein Win (GBNF)
- MSEE from the University of Michigan
- Worked at the famous Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Technical Consultant for the UCC Project.
- President of RIT Swimming, Water Polo and Diving
- President of RIT Rowing
- Line Judge at RUBC Regattas
Dr. Freddie Ba Hli (GBNF)
- Sc.D in EE from MIT
- Director General, UBARI
- Taught part time at EE Department
- Retired as National Advisor at the Ministry of National Planning and Finance
- Member, UCC Advisory Board
- External Examiner, UCC
- Passed away in Sydney, Australia in his 90s
U Thein Lwin (GBNF)
- MSEE from Lehigh University
- Saya taught at RIT and Singapore Polytechnic
- President, RIT Badminton Association
Dr. San Tint (GBNF)
- Taught until retirement
- External Examiner, UCC
- Attended SPZP-2000
U Soe Min (GBNF)
- After training in UK, transferred to DCA (Directorate of Civil Aviation)
U Chin Way (GBNF)
- Joined RIT in 1963
- Active in SPARK
- Was offered a job [promptly] by his interviewers after learning that their boss U Tun Aung (Jeffrey, EC68) was a student of Saya
- Passed away in the USA
U Tin Shwe (GBNF)
- Joined RIT in 1966
- Taught at RIT and ABAC
- Became monk after retirement
- His demise is lamented in “To the Shwe Duo” (Poem by Tekkatho Moe War, Translation by Hla Min)
U Kyaw Lwin (GBNF)
- Hobbies : Rowing, Piano
Daw Nyunt Nyunt Yee (GBNF)
- Joined RIT in 1972
- Widow of Saya U Sein Hlaing
- Head of Electrical Engineering (Power) Department at RIT/YIT/MIT.
- Passed away on Jan 05, 2000