- Trail Blazers
- Dhammananda Vihara
- Resident Monks (over the years)
- U Silanandabhivamsa
- Aye Thet Scholarship
- My Contributions
- During a Dhamma Duta mission in the late 1970s, Mahasi Sayadawgyi agreed to leave U Silananda and U Kelasa to carry on the Sasana work in the US.
- U Silananda taught classes and conducted meditation retreats in California.
- U Kelasa did the same in East Coast of USA.
Several devotees including the Khoo siblings and cousins (Eddie, Stanley, Molly) and Dr. Tin Wa established the Theravada Buddhist Society of America (TBSA).
TBSA helped set up the Dhammanada Vihara with U Silananda as the Chief Resident Monk and U Sobhana. U Jotalankara would later join the sayadaws.
The initial Vihara was a rented house in San Francisco. It later moved to Daly City. It is currently in Half Moon Bay.
Resident Monks (over the years)
- U Silanandabhivamsa (First Sayadaw, GBNF)
- U Sobhana (GBNF)
- U Jotalankara (Second Sayadaw)
- U Nandisena (Moved to Dhamma Vihara in Mexico)
- U Osadha
- U Kondannadhaja (Uzin Chan Min)
Sayadaw life and accomplishments have been recorded in the Dhammananda Newsletters and the TBSA web site.
I was an Editor for the Newsletter and web site for several years.
- Sayadaw was born in Mandalay on December 16, 1927.
- Father : Saya Saing (Famous Myanmar Pithuka)
- Studied at Kelly (an American Baptist Mission School)
- During the war, his family took refuge at the Sagaing Hills
- Ordained as a samanera (novice)
- Paid respect to Shwe Hintha Sayadaw, who gave the novice his robes and requested him not to leave the order
- Became a Trailblazer when Mahasi Sayadaw left him to do dhamma duta in California and beyond.
- Served as the Abbot of the Dhammananda Vihara, the Spiritual Advisor of the Theravada Buddhist Society of America (TBSA) and the Dhammachakka Meditation Center in California, and several other monasteries in Myanmar and Mexico.
- First Rector of IMBTU.
- Sayadaw passed away on August 13, 2005.
- IMBTU sent Sayadaw U Nandamalabhivamsa and Dr. Myint Kyi to attend the Funeral Services for Sayadaw U Silananda.
- I served as Master of Ceremonies at the Funeral Services for Sayadaw.
- I was a Contributing Editor and Committee Member for the publication of the book paying Homage to Sayadaw.
- TBSA consecrated a Dhamma Hall in memory of U Silananda.
- Ceremonies to honor Sayadaw are done in August and December.
Additional materials can be found in the commemorative book (“Maw Gun Win Sar Saung”) and the DVDs about Sayadaw’s “Last Journey” and his lifelong achievements (including the first Rector of IMBTU).
The Biography & First Sermon
- Sayadaw wrote the book as a young monk
- The book was reprinted as Dhamma Dana for Sayadaw’s 75th Birthday
Paritta Pali and Protective Verses
Ms. Srinuch Pongavas, a disciple of Sayadaw, published the book “Paritta Pali and Protective Verses” for Sayadaw’s birthday in 1995.
The book displays Paritta Pali on the even-numbered pages and the Paritta Text (in English) on the odd-numbered pages.
Sayadaw recorded the Pali and the English Text.
CD was also provided as Dhamma Dana.
It can also be listened on You Tube
U Silanandabhivamsa’s Dhamma Duta Missions
by Nyaung Kan Aye Sayadaw
- Nyaung Kan Aye Sayadaw is from the Dhamma Lineage of Mahasi Sayadaw.
- Dhamma Lecturer
- Dedicated the book to his mentor U Silanandabhivamsa
Aye Thet Scholarship
Dr. Swe Aye and Dr. Khin Nyo Thet provided the seed money for the “Aye Thet Scholarship”.
The number of young adults and children attending the TBSA Summer Dhamma Camp has grown close to 200.
The classes cover
- Recitation (for very young children)
- Levels 1 to 6
Some who passed Level 6 would volunteer to be Teaching Assistants.
Several donors augment the “Aye Thet Scholarship” to give prizes to the attendees of the TBSA Summer Dhamma Camp.
- EC member (VP and/or Director)
- Editor of the Dhammananda Newsletter.
- Per Sayadaw U Silananda’s request, I simplified the book “A Manual of Buddhism” for use at the Summer Dhamma Camp.
- I also edited the book based on the transcripts — by U Osadha — of Sayadaw’s dhamma talks (mostly at the meditation retreats).
- Master of Ceremonies at Sayadaw’s Memorial Service
- Accompanied Saya U Myat Htoo (then President of TBSA) for scattering Sayadaw’s ashes into the water near Golden Gate Bridge.
- Committee member and Contributing Editor for the book “Homage to Sayadaw U Silanandabhivamsa“.
Categories: S T U