Update : February 25, 2020
The following is a sampling of photo essays on topics which start with “G”.
Golden Jubilee (GJ)
- Rangoon University celebrated its Golden Jubilee in December 1970.
- I had a small role as a volunteer for the “Zay Nay Yar Cha Htar Yay Committee” headed by Saya U Tun Hla Aung (Geography).
- Saya Dr. Aung Gyi (Professor, Civil Engineering) and Saya U Thet Lwin (Burmese, Institute of Economics) were Chair and Secretary of a main Committee. They had a reunion as Rector and Registrar of the Rangoon Institute of Technology (RIT).
There are other Golden Jubilees :
- GJ of the new Education System introduced in 1964
- GJ of Admission to University or Institute
- GJ of Graduation from University or Institute
- Dr. Tha Hla received his doctorate from the UK. He served as Professor of Geology Department. He retired as Rector of the University of Rangoon.
- His successors include Dr. Nyi Nyi, U Ba Than Haq and Dr. Maung Thein.
Geology Sayas and Sayamas
Geology Volleyball Champions
- In the early days, some quality photographs need to be taken in Photo Studios.
- The photo (taken at “Queen” / “Bayin Ma”) shows proud parents of a fresh graduate.
- It was common to take photos at the “Full Dress Rehearsal” and in front of the Convocation Hall.
- Permits were given to registered photographers to take photos during the Convocation.
- Maung Maung Nhyat and brothers made quite a fortune from the events.
Daw Thin Kyi
- Daw Thin Kyi was one of the early Burmese sayama to receive a Doctorate.
- An Alumnus had donated “Seed Money” for the bust of Professor Daw Thin Kyi.
- For more photos, see the album “Geography” in RU Centennial Facebook Pages.