Update : December 29, 2020
Dr. Maung Maung Kha
- Fondly known as “Saya Kha“
- Completed his doctorate in Meteorological Physics from the UK.
- Worked briefly at the Directorate of Meteorology
- Transferred to the Department of Physics at the University of Rangoon.
- Early native Professor of Physics at the University of Rangoon
- Served as Interim Dean at the Faculty of Engineering.
- Rector of the University of Rangoon.
- Established the University Distance Learning (Correspondence Course) and served as Rector
- Longest tenure Rectors
- Spouse : Daw Khin Soe Tin (Ruby Kha, Sayama and Tennis Champion)
- Children :
Dr. Oak Soe Ka (UK),
Maythi Kha (USA)
Dr. Myat Mon Kha (USA)
- Excellent violinist
Accompanied U Ba Kyi singing “Only Two” (Hna Yauk Hte Nay Chin De)
- Former colleagues and students celebrated the Centennial of Saya Kha.
- Related posts
Saya Kha Hall
Saya Dr. Maung Maung Kha, Saya Dr. Tha Hla and Saya Dr. Hla Myint were some of the early Burmese State Scholars sent to the UK for their Doctorates in Meteorological Physics, Geology and Economics. The sayas served as Professors and as Rector of the University of Rangoon.
Saya Kha attended the Regattas at Rangoon University Boat Club and presented the trophies to the winning teams. I was a Master of Ceremonies at several regattas. I am a Life Member of RUBC, and the last Executive Committee member to be democratically elected at the General Meeting. I served as Honorary Treasurer and Vice Captain, but the higher authorities changed the rules and prevented me from becoming Captain.
Dr. Oak Soe Kha
- Also known as Dr. Alvin Oak Soe Kha
- Eldest child and only son of Saya Kha
- Selected Luyechun for the inaugural Camp at Ngapali in the summer of 1964.
- Matriculated from MEHS in 1964.
- Represented the Institute of Medicine (1) in Swimming and Water Polo.
Their team led by Lyn Aung Thet won Inter-Institute Water Polo competition.
- After retirement, spend time in Yangon and UK
- Honorary Paulian (present at the Paulian gatherings)
- Had mixed emotions after reading the posts from Yar Pyay Group.
- Was sad to know that his former classmate and neighbor Maureen Aung Khin (daughter of Saya U Aung Khin (former Professor of Chemistry) left this world at an early age. He was glad to hear that his best friend Robert Aung Khin is alive and well.
- Shared sweet memories.
- Experienced first hand Saya U Ba Kyi (renowned artist) sing his beautiful translation of “Hna Yauk Hte Nay Chin Dei” (Only Two, Darling) to the accompaniment of the violin by his father Saya Kha. The sayas were Patrons of the “Ah Nu Pyinnya Ah Thinn”.
- Saya Kha was the longest tenured Rector (Rangoon University, RASU and University Distance Learning)
- His mother Sayama Daw Khin Soe Tin (Ruby Kha) was National Tennis Champion of Mixed Doubles with Joe Ba Maung.
Saya Joe was also Singles Champion, and Men’s Doubles Champion with U Than Lwin. Saya taught English at RIT before transferring as Manager to Burma Railways. Saya was in charge of the Sports Program of Burma Railways. He was one of the early casualties of 8-8-88 movement.
- Related posts
Dr. Oak Soe Kha (Alvin) is the son of Sayagyi Dr. Maung Maung Kha. He was selected for the first Lu Ye Chun Camp in the summer of 1964.
In the following year, the Lu Ye Chun Program was extended to the students of Universities and Institutes. The Program ended in 1988. A few years back, an association was formed for the Lu Ye Chuns from 1964 to 1988. There have been formal and informal Reunions of the Lu Ye Chuns.
Some Lu Ye Chuns are GBNF. They include Dr. Kyaw Sein Koe, Daw Khin Aye Than, Dr. Htay Lwin Nyo (EE), U Tin Myint and H.E. U Myint Thaung.