Citing security reasons (following the outcry of the first Anniversary of 7th July atrocities), the RUBC Annual Regatta in 1963 was cancelled.
In 1923, RUBC was founded by Sir Arthur Eggar (Professor of Law at the Rangoon University. He pledged a third of his salary for RUBC’s expenses.
Sir Arthur was a member of the Cambridge University Rowing Club and a proponent of the Egg-Bairn Rowing Style. He was impressed with the prowess and dedication of the Burmese Laung rowers. He wanted to introduce the Western style of Rowing to RU students.
The philanthropist U Nyo donated for the construction of the RU Estate. The fund was used several projects including the construction of the RU Students’ Union Building and for the Club House of RUBC. U Nyo donated a Challenge Cup for Inter-Club Eights. It was replaced in the mid 1950s by the President’s Challenge Cup (donated by the President of the Union of Burma).
Sithu U Tin (President, RUBC, Father of Dr. Nyunt Tin and Saya U Han Tin) decided not to cancel the party to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the founding of Rangoon University Boat Club.
Sithu U Tin, U Po Zon (Vice President) and U Tin Htoon compiled the RUBC History and published it in the Souvenir Program. It lists Past EC members and RUBC Golds.
Some attendees are seen in the group photo. Sad to note that a few are now GBNF (Gone But Not Forgotten).
- U Tin Htoon (Past Captain and Gold, ARAE Champion in 1958 and 1960)
- Bohmu Hla Min (Eddie, Orthopedic Surgeon, Golden Cox)
- U Win Kyi (SPED, son of Sayama Amelia Kyi (“Miss Hong Kong”, SPHS, RUBC Gold in 1959)
- U Myo Myint (RUBC Gold in 1962)
- U Thein Aung (Micky Tan, SPHS59, Physics Saya, RUBC Gold in 1962)
- U Thaung Lwin (Captain and RUBC Gold in 1963)
- U Than Htut (RUBC Gold in 1963)
- U Myint Soe (Willie Soe Maung)
- U Kyaw Wynn
- U Maung Maung Kyi
- U Hla Min
The four of us matriculated from SPHS in 1963.
We were Runner-up for the Senior Novices in the Monsoon Regatta for 1963. We were awarded Full Green at the end of the term.
Our cox was U Myint Thein (SPHS62, younger brother of U Win Htein and U Myo Myint).