Update : December 13, 2020
RUBC Members Old and Current
The Rangoon University Boat Club (RUBC) was founded by Law Professor Sir Arthur Eggar in 1923.
Details can be found in
- Autobiography of Sir Arthur Eggar *
- Commemorative Issues (e.g. 90th Anniversary of the founding of RUBC)
- YUBC Facebook pages
I attended the Annual Regatta for 2019 with my brother U Sein Htoon (Captain, ARAE Champion in 1960) and my brother-in-law U Myo Myint (RUBC Gold in 1962).
The Regatta had a program for
- current male members
- current female members
- old members (with specified age groups)
- mixed for current members
- mixed for current and old members
- current vs old members
- single sculls
- double sculls
- 4- (coxless fours)
- 8+ (coxed eights)
- U Tin U (most senior Past Captain)
- Bohmu Maung Maung Than Tun (oldest Past Captain)
- Dr. Myo Tint (Past Captain)
- Dr. Than Nyun (Past Captain, OMA President)
- U Tun Shein (Gold, 1954)
- U Sein Htoon (Past Captain, ARAE 1960)
- U Tin Myint and U Hla Kyi (Sons of Arzani U Razak)
- U Tun Mra (SEAP 1959 and 1961)
- U Khin Maung Latt (Rowing, Soccer, 4×100 m Burma Record in 1957)
- U Myo Myint (Gold, 1962)
- Old members and their families
Some young members told me that they are trying to the Yangon Heritage Plaque for the Club which will turn 100 in 2023. The original club house was damaged during the Second World War. The club house was rebuilt with the support of old members and interested sponsors / donors. The club house was “taken over” by a restaurant (which finally agreed to move to a new location).
We are glad to see members spanning several generations at the regatta.
Hope to see universities from neighboring nations come and participate in regattas held in Myanmar (may be for the RUBC Centennial in 2023).