- There are various types of organizations.
- There are non-profit organizations.
That does not mean that the employees are all unpaid volunteers.
- In the USA, non-profit organizations are classified by the IRS tax code.
The organizations have to comply with the Federal and State regulations.
If one donates to a non-profit organization with 501 (c) (3), part or all of the donation is tax deductible.
- There are for-profit organizations.
- Business organizations may be known as companies or corporations.
The companies may be privately or publicly held.
Some (e,g LLC) have Limited Liability.
- NGO is a Non-government organization.
- HMO is a Health Maintenance Organization.
- There are Religious, Social, Educational, Political and Sports organizations.
- The structure for organizations may vary.
For example, an organization might have
(a) Immediate Past President (to help the incoming team)
(b) President (for the current term)
(c) President-Elect (to be President in the next term).
This allows for continuity in the operations.