Old post by Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint
With medical graduates, support is given to all doctors 75 years and above, regardless of the person being a teacher or not.
- The late Prof. Daw Myint Myint Khin founded the Support Group for Elderly Doctors (SGED).
- The organisation provided more than health care.
- A Day Care Centre was built so that elderly doctors can come by with not just colleagues of the same age but play board games, have meals etc.
- Transport is also provided from their residences by volunteers.
- It is very heartening that some of the volunteers themselves are over 80. They are our inspiration to emulate them.
- SGED also makes home visit to elderly and unwell colleagues.
- Financial support is now being given monthly now donated by a doctor/Entrepreneur.
- Homage ceremony by the Women Section of the Myanmar Medical Association ceremony is held annually.
- For those who cannot attend because of illness, or otherwise, homage is given at their residences.
- There are also homage ceremonies by each batch of doctors at their Annual get-togethers.
- The Class of 1993, University of Medicine 1 founded the “Institutes of Medicine Retired Teachers Fund IMRTF” providing financial assistance as needed by the retired teachers.
Editor’s Note :
Dr. Kyaw Min (Retired Deputy DG, DMR) volunteered to provide Transport to elderly doctors.