S : Names
- U San Aung (Sydney Tin)
Pplayed the Bass Guitar and Drums with bands notably TAMPS (named for Tin Aung, Austin Xavier, Mra Tun, Pierpont Morgan and Sydney San Aung).
Father : U Chit Tin
Brothers : U Mya Aung, U Than Aung, U May Aung (GBNF)
- U San Aung (Reginald Choung Po, Sonny, SPHS58, GBNF)
One of the youngest Senior Pilot at UBA/BAC.
RU Boxing Champion for Pin Weight.
Served as Treasurer of RUBC.
Perished in an an accident.
- U San Hla
- Dr. San Hla Aung (C58)
Had to wait one year to enter the University of Rangoon because he was under age.
Top of C58 class
Studied MS in Civil Engineering at MIT
Did Doctorate at Tulane University,New Orleans in the USA.
Coaxed to retire after 50+ years of teaching in Burma and the USA.
President, RIT Rowing Association
Line Judge, RUBC Regatta
President, RIT Swimming & Water Polo Club.
- Dr. San Lin (C62)
Taught part-time at RIT.
Worked for UN projects in Thailand before migrating to the USA.
In 2019, co-organized a mini-gathering in Los Angeles to pay respect to Sayagyi U Min Wun. Gave us a ride to attend the LA gathering.
- U San Lin (C69, GBNF)
Recent entry from the GBNF list of the Class of 69
- U San Lin (Robert Chan, EC73)
Spouse : Marina (Hla Myint, EC73)
Studied at RIT and UCC. |
Worked in Singapore and USA.
Father : Chan Boon Pinn
- U San Lin (M87)
Executive Committee member (e.g. Auditor) of NorCal RITAA.
Named after U San Lin, who signed the Kyat Notes issued by the Union Bank of Burma.
Pen name : Maung Lu Pay
- Dr. San Lwin (Ronald Lwin, GBNF)
- U San Lwin (Director)
- U San Lwin (Philosophy, Director, Monk)
- Dr. San Lwin Lin (EE, Entrepreneur)
- U San Maung (Gerald Sein, RUBC Gold and Coach)
- “Bando” U San Maung (Stunt)
- U San Maung
Father : U Choung Po
- U San Myint (Rector, Institute of Education)
- U San Myint (Mathematics)
- U San Myint (Secretary, MASTAA)
- U San Myint Thane (Sammy Thane, EC79, UCC, USA)
- U San Nyo Aung (RIT)
- U San Nyunt (Road)
- U San Pe
Sons : Dr. Pe Nyun, Dr. Pe Thein
- Daw San San Aye (Actress)
- Daw San San Aye (UK)
Spouse : Dr. Ye Myint
- Daw San San Lwin (UCC)
- Daw San San Mya (EP73)
Spouse : U Khin Maung Htwe
- Daw San San Myint (UCC)
- Dr. San San Myint (California)
- Daw San San Nwe (Tharawaddy, Writer)
- Daw San San Nyunt (Sandra Wu, M77)
- Daw San San Swe (EC74)
- Daw San San Tin (Cynthia Tin, Journalist)
Father : U Ba Tin
Sister : Wendy
- U San Shwe
Son : Freddie (Dr. Paing Soe)
- San Shwe Maung (Director)
U Chin Sein
Children : U Myat Hla Sein, Daw Chit Mya Sein
- San Shwe Myint (Cartoon)
- U San Tha
- U San Tha Aung (Physics, DHE, GBNF)
- U San Thein (SPHS)
- Sandar (Sar Oo, Rosebelle Mya Maung, Actor)
Father : U Mya Maung
Spouse : U La Min (EP70))
- Daw Sandar Khin (Minister)
- Sandra Rahman
Sister : Annette
- Sandra Tint
- Sandra Wu (Daw San San Nyunt, M77)
Spouse : James (U Thein Aung)
- Dat Pon Sann Aung (M73)
Secretary, Mechanical Co-op.
Founded USA (U Sann Aung) Photo Lab
Sister : Daw Than Than Yi (T71, GBNF).
- Dr. Sann Oo (EP67)
Served as Associate Editor of “Hlyat Sit Sar Saung” published by RIT Electrical Engineering Association
Spouse : Daw Than Yi (EP70)
Prefix for members of the Shan nobility.
- Sao Aung Myint (John Khun Kyi, Irrigation)
- Sao Hso Holm (Sawbwalay, English First Class Honors, Law, Author)
- Sao Kan Gyi (Tony, RIT English, GBNF)
- Sao Khai Pha (Editor)
- Sao Khun Cho (Minister)
- Sao Khun Kyi (Father of John and Shirley)
- Daw Sao Mon Sint (Cindy, UCC)
Spouse : U Sein Myint (UCC)
- Sao Sai Mong (Educator)
- Sao San Htun (Arzani)
- Sao Shwe Thaik (President)
- Sao Yan Naing (RUBC)
- Sao Yan Paing
- Saw is a prefix for Karen (Kayin) names.
- Saw is a clan name for Chinese.
- Galon U Saw
- Saw Edison (EP69, Volleyball, Australia)
- Saw Orson (A71)
- U Saw Hlaing (First in Burma)
Family of “First in Burma” starting with his father
Father : U Hoke Sein (Pali-English-Burmese Dictionary).
Daughter : Dr. Cherry Hlaing (St. John’s Convent, 1964)
Grand children : Two
The record — four generations and five members of First in Burma — will not be broken.
- U Saw Hlaing (RIT Physics, GBNF)
Graduate studies in Japan.
Served as Principal of Taunggyi College
Retired as Director at the Ministry of Education,
First met him as an active member of the Kusalakari Association at Shwe Dagon Pagoda.
- U Saw Lwin (DHE)
- U Saw Lwin
Sons : Jimmy Saw Lwin, George Saw Lwin (U Kyaw Lwin)
- U Saw Lwin
Daughters : Dr. Hazel, Olive, May
- Bogyoke Saw Maung
- U Saw Maung
Sons : Allan )Khin Maung Bo), Alfred (Khin Maung Maung)
- U Saw Min
Daughter : Alice (Daw Saw Yu Tint, T69)
- Colonel Saw Myint (RC member)
Pen name : Hmu Thamein
- U Saw Nyo (PBRS)
Brother : U Saw Shwe (PBRS)
- U Saw Nyunt (Lu Nge Yay Ya)
Brothers : U Hla Khin, U Hla Tin
- U Saw Oo (PBRS)
Sisters : Daw Kyi Kyi Tin, Daw Tin Tin Aye
- Saw Orson (A71, Volleyball)
Brother : Saw Edison
- U Saw Pe (Sanchaung)
Daughter : Daw Marlar, Daw Thi Thi
- Daw Saw Saw
- Daw Saw Saw Sein (PBRS)
- U Saw Shwe (PBRS)
Brother : U Saw Nyo
- Dr. Saw Tin (Mathematics, GBNF)
- U Saw Tun (Burmese, RIT, NIU)
Pen name : Saw Lu
- U Saw Tun (Mathematica Science Scholar)
- Daw Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69)
Spouse : U Soe Paing
- U Sein (SPHS, Saya)
Son : Dr. Soe Win (SPHS58, First in Burma))
- Bandoola U Sein (Entrepreneur)
- Maung Sein (Cartoonist)
- Maung Sein (Ah Yo Ku Saya)
Father : U Kwi Si
- U Sein Aung
- U Sein Aung Lynn (Lynn Dental)
- U Sein Aung Min (Mintha)
- U Sein Hla (MIT alumnus, Registrar of BIT)
Father : U Bo Gyi (Chief Justice, RU Vice Chancellor)
- U Sein Hla (Writer)
Son : Dr. Aung Zeya (YTU)
- U Sein Hlaing (EE, Professor, GBNF)
See Post (e.g. RIT)
- U Sein Hlaing (Coach of the Burma Football team).
- U Sein Hlaing (Bago)
Organizer for San Francisco Bay Area Entertainment events.
- U Sein Hlaing (PBRS, BAF, GBNF)
Parents : U Chit Hlaing, Daw Mi Mi
- U Sein Htoon (M63)
Past Captain and Gold of RUBC
ARAE Champion in 1960
Past President, Myanmar Rowing and Yachting Federation
- U Sein Myint (EP69, Rowing, Swimming, Water Polo)
- Dr. L Sein Myint (M73)
- U Sein Myint (EC76, UCC, UN)
Vice President, MASTAA
- Dr. Sein Myint (RIT, MES)
- U Sein Myint Maung (UCC, Australia)
- U Sein Than (PBRS)
- U Sein Thaung (ChE)
- U Sein Thit (EE)
- U Sein Tin (M69, Pathein Omega)
- U Sein Tin (Kenneth Koe, Tennis coach)
- U Sein Tin (Johnny Ong, EC75, Australia)
- Dr. Sein Tun (Physics, SPHS58, GBNF)
- U Sein Tun (Lucas Lee, BASES, Los Angeles)
- U Sein Tun (BADA)
- Dr. Sein Win (Mathematics)
Father : Arzani U Ba Win)
- U Sein Win (Guardian)
- U Sein Win (Professor, EP Department
- U Sein Win (Mathematics, Astronomy)
- U Sein Win (Win Aung Kyaw, C69, GBNF)
- U Sein Win (Nar Yee, T69, GBNF)
- U Sein Win (M/Ag69)
- U Sein Win (C80, Sydney, Australia)
- Kaya Bala U Shein was a Body Builder.
- U Shein worked at SLR (Surveyor Land Records). He attended DAC. He was active in Hiking and Mountaineering.
- I met Saya Dr. Maung Shein and several sayas and sayamas (Dr. Ronald Findlay, Saya Jimmy [Dr. Khin Maung Kywe) and Professor Dr. Sundurum) when my uncle Saya U Than Lwin took me Rangoon University to visit the Faculty of Social Science. My uncle taught Economics and also served as the librarian for Social Science Library. Daw Myint Myint Khin (Hazel) was an Assistant Librarian at SS Library. She later joined RIT as Librarian. Saya Dr. Maung Shein became Deputy Minister of Finance and National Planning.
[Per Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint] Dr. Maung Shein PhD, joined the World Bank after working as Deputy Minister of Finance in Burma. U Maung Maung Hla (younger brother of Dr U Kyaw Maung surgeon) also joined World Bank.
- Maung Shein and Maung Sein are sons of U Kwi Si, a prominent Chinese Ah Yo Ku Saya who did not charge poor patients.
- U Shein Soe Myint (EC83, UCC) is the son of Saya U Hla Myint (former Head of Mathematics Department at the Institute of Economics. He passed away while doing further studies in Singapore.
- U Shwe (EP69, 69er HCF)
- U Shwe Aung (Author)
- Saya U Shwe Hlaing
Studied Chemical Engineering and Mathematics in the USA.
Taught “Engineering Mechanics” in our 2nd BE Class
Taught Algol and “Algol Report” at Mandalay Hall (before UCC was established at Thamaing Campus)
Taught programming to students at RIT (e.g. Class of 76)
- U Shwe Mra graduated with Honors in Economics.
Became an ICS.
Served as Chief Secretary of the Burmese Government.
Joined the United Nations.
Sons : Tun Mra, Kyaw Mra, Soe Mra, Win Mra, Maung Maung Mra, Rai Mra, Aung Mra
His sons excelled in Track and Field as well as in their professions.
- U Shwe Oo
- U Shwe Thein (SPHS, Dawei)
- Major Shwe Zan (Doctor)
Son : Tun Zan (RUBC Gold)
- U Shwe Zan Aung (SPHS63, GBNF)
- Singh is used as a Middle name (and often abbreviated as S.) by Sikhs.
- Balwant Singh majored in Pali. He served as Commissioner of Pegu Division. He later joined UN. He is an RUBC Gold.
- Teja Singh is an entrepreneur. He is the father of D S Saluja.
- Dave Singh Saluja (aka D S Saluja) left RIT before graduation to Bangkok. He co-founded Rama Enterprise with his elder brother (an MIT alumni).
- Surinder Singh (EE69er) moved to Australia.
- Meenu Singh (ChE70) moved to the USA. He has a Ph.D. He became a Professor in CS or IT.
- Jagjit Singh (Jack Bopari, EC7x) moved to the USA. He worked at UIUC.
- Uttam Singh (Uttam S. Gill, M71) was a High School Luyechun from Myitkyina. He moved to the USA. He has a Ph.D. He worked for NASA.
- A S Soni is SPHS 63.
- U Soe Aung (M/Auto71) : Secretary of RIT Ah Nu Pyinnya Ah Thinn
- U Soe Aung (M72)
- U Soe Aung (M75)
- U Soe Khaw (GBNF)
Part-time Lecturer and Head of Mining Department at BOC College.
Worked on several UN assignments before relocating to the USA.
Supporter for selected monasteries in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- U Soe Khine (M70)
Organizer for the Combined 1st BE Intake of 64 and 65.
- U Soe Lwin (EC66)
One of casualties from Burma Railways for 8-8-88 and related events.
Interests include astrology and meditation.
- Saya U Soe Lwin (M)
Assisted Sayagyi U Ba Than and also taught Strength of Materials.
Son-i-law : Dr. Lu Aye.
- U Soe Maung
Proud parent of scholar athletes (U Tin Soe, U Myint Soe, U Nyunt Soe, U Chit Soe, Sally Soe, Mary Soe, Muya Soe …) .
- U Soe Maung (M66)
- U Soe Min (Mathematics & Astronomy Saya)
- U Soe Min (EE Saya, DCA, GBNF)
- U Soe Mra
Third son of U Shwe Mra
Won Gold in the 2nd SEAP Games for Pole Vault.
- U Soe Myint
Manager of the University Printing Press.
- Four U Soe Myint in the M72 Group.
The one with the nicknames “Phone Gyi” and “Sunlun Kappiya” worked at UCC, DCS and ICST. He retired as Pro-Rector of Computer Tekkatho. He is GBNF.
- Saya U Soe Myint (Min83)
Joint Secretary for SPZP-2012 and SPZP-2016.
Active in the RIT Buddhist Association — as Secretary and later as Patron.
Helped organize the compilation and publication of Ovada (Exhortation) of the sayas and sayamas invited to SPZP-2012 and SPZP-2016.
- Saya Dr. Soe Myint Win (GBNF)
Doctorate in Electronics.
Taught in the Physics Department.
Supporter for selected monasteries in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Dr. Soe Naung
Host of Sayadaws visiting Jamaica
- Saya U Soe Paing (SPHS56)
See Post (e.g. UCC)
- U Soe Paing (Musician)
- Soe Pay (Movie director)
- Soe Sa
- Soe San (Recording studio and distributor)
- U Soe Tha (EC67)
He and U Tun Kyi (M67, GBNF) were RIT Champions for Doubles in Tennis.
- Dr. Soe Than
Taught at UCC, DCS and ICST.
- Dr. Soe Thein (C75, Saya)
Organizer for the SPZPs held in Singapore.
Web master for the Singapore Alumni.
His son volunteered as a photographer and/or videographer.
Invited me as a Guest to the Civil Gathering held before SPZP-2007.
Invited me to a C75 gathering held at M3 Food Center in Yangon.
- U Soe Thein (Student Leader, Ta Ka Tha)
Registrar when RIT was opened under the New Education System.
Promoted to Director at the Department of Higher Education (DHE).
- U Soe Thein (Peter Myint Maung, EE69)
Had a medical operation.
His daughter drove him to the 69er Monthly Breakfast Gatherings
- U Soe Wai (Navy)
Rowed on the first Defense Service team along with U Sein Kyaing, U Hla Khin, U Tin Soe and U San Myint (Cox).
- Dr. Soe Win (SPHS58)
First in Burma in Matriculation in 1958
Retired Rector of YUFL
Spouse : Daw May Saw Lwin
- Dr. Soe Win (Dicky, IM1 79er)
- U Soe Win (EP69, GBNF)
Captain of RIT Basketball team.
- U Soe Win (TTC64, EC70)
Worked for UCC and PTC
After retirement, he helped run his spouse’s business in Moulmein.
- U Soe Win (M66)
Close friend of Saya U Lin (M66) and U Soe Aung (M66)
- Su Phaya Latt
Was a Queen
- Daw Su Su Lwin (UCC)
- Daw Su Su Lwin
Spouse : U Htin Kyaw, former President
- Dr. Swe Aye (MEHS63, IM2)
Medical doctor and poet.
Founded the Aye-Thet Scholarship at TBSA with spouse Dr. Khin Nyo Thet
- Bohmu Swe Than
- Daw Swe Swe Than (UCC, US)
- U Swe Tin (EE77)
Nickname : Kyauk Pya
Father : U Aung Gyi (Academy U Kyauk Lone)
- U Sway Tin
Early devotee of Mogok Sayadaw U Vimala. He recorded Sayadaw’s dhamma tape and translated some talks e.g. “Die with a smile”.
Spouse : Daw Kyi Kyi Daing
Son : Min Sway Tin (Physics/Electronics).