- Statistics was offered as an Option at the Economics Department, Rangoon University.
- Statistics became a separate Department under the Faculty of Social Science.
- Statistics later became a Department of the Institute of Economics.
- In the early days, some Rangoon University students (e.g. U Soe Myint, Chief Editor of Guardian, GBNF) graduated with the Triple Mathematics Option taking Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Statistics.
- Dr. Sundaram was the first Professor and Head of the Statistics Department.
He was a contemporary of Dr. Aye Hlaing and Saw William Paw.
- Dr. Khin Maung Nyunt succeeded Saya Dr. Sundaram.
- U Thet Tun and U Kyaw Myint were key personnel at National Planning and CSO.
- Dr. Myint Tin transferred to Central Statistical Organization (CSO)
- U Htin Kyaw (Peter Wun) and U Tun Shwe transferred to UCC as Application Programmer/Analyst.
Terminology / Concepts
Types of Statistics
- Parametric Statistics
- Non-Parametric Statistics.
Statistic used to mean an item of measurement or information.
Datum used to be the singular form of Data.
Basic Operations on Data
- Mean (Average)
- Median (Middle)
- Mode (Highest occurrence)
- Standard Deviation
An old joke: “Have you heard about the Statistician who was drowned while trying to cross a river with an average of three feet?”
Tests and Tools
- There are Statistical Tests.
The tests use “significance level” to accept or reject a hypothesis.
There may be Positive and Negative Errors.
- An early program is called SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Science).
- Several programming languages (e.g. Python, R) have libraries, modules and functions to perform statistical calculations and tests.
- Machine Learning (a branch of Artificial Intelligence) uses various Statistical Programs and Tools.