U Soe Paing
- Matriculated from St. Paul’s High School (SPHS) in 1956.
- Won Collegiate Scholarship
- At the 1958 Convocation, he won two Gold Medals for the combined I.Sc. (A) and (B) exams.
- One medal for the highest total score for both exams combined.
- Another medal for the highest marks in Mathematics in I.Sc. examination. Saya Dr. Tin Win (M62) and another student were co-winners.
- Received a scholarship to study BSEE and MSEE at Stanford University.
- Completed BSEE in 1962.
- Completed MSEE in 1963.
- Saya U Ko Ko Lay (UCC, GBNF) received a scholarship to study BSCE and MSCE at Stanford University.
On their return journey to Burma by an ocean liner, Saya U Soe Paing and Saya U Ko Ko Lay were joined by Saya Allen Htay (C58, GBNF) and Saya U Tin Maung Nyunt (M60) who had finished their graduate studies in the US.
They spent the evenings playing Bridge.
They became close friends.
- In early 1964 joined the EE Department as Assistant Lecturer.
- Helped Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe found UCC along with Saya U Myo Min and Saya U Ko Ko Lay.
- In April 1971, saya transferred to UCC as Systems Manager.
- Did his M.Sc. (Computer Science) at the University of Southampton in the UK.
- Retired after working as UN Consultant in several countries.
- Wrote a brief bio for the SPZPs.
- Described more details in his articles about his studies and work at UCC and beyond.
The articles and interviews are available in SCRIB-D.
- After retirement, saya spent time playing golf and practicing vipassana mediation.
He traveled to Singapore (for medical check up and treatment), UK (to visit his daughter and grandson) and USA (to visit his younger son and grand child).
Due to the pandemic, his travel plans for the year are on hold.
- Recently, he gave an interview hosted by MASTAA (Myanmar American Science and Technology Alumni Association.
- Saya was my mentor at RIT and UCC.
- From the mid- 1960s, Saya tried to recruit his students to join UCC.
- Some early students could not wait long for the UCC project to get established.
- A few left for overseas.
Saya’s writings and contributions
- Student days at Rangoon University
- RIT Saya Soccer Team
- RIT-UCC Connection
- Three sayas attending SPZP
- “Computer Ah Sa UCC Ga” and articles can be read from SCRIB-D
- With the help of Sayagyi U Ba Than and Saya U Thaw Kaung, Saya compiled artifacts at the Universities Central Library. Saya prepared a draft version for of HMEE-2012.
- Saya revised the translation by U Ohn Khine (Section One in full, Section Two in Summary).
- Saya hosted several gatherings for RIT-UCC alumni visiting Myanmar.