There are at least three people who are “Tone Kyaw” (falsely believed to have died).
“Tone Kyaw “Hla Min
- My name sake matriculated from St Paul’s High School in 1964 and graduated with EE in 1970.
- He was one year junior to me at SPHS and RIT.
- He joined UCC as Chief Operator (CO).
- He taught Programming at Worker’s College.
- He appeared healthy and strong, but unfortunately he passed away at the tender age of 30+.
- During his hospitalization, he was taken care of by his former classmate Dr. Min Lwin (Maurice Hla Kyi, SPHS64).
- Many were not aware that there were two Hla Min (Old Paulian, RIT alumni, UCC employee/saya).
- Two government departments — Coop Training School, Trade Training School, where I had given guest lectures — inquired UCC how they can send “Lwan Thuu Pann Khwe” (wreath) for me.
- We went to Kyandaw Cemetery for Ko Pauk Si‘s Last Journey.
- He earned the nickname at SPHS, because he would eat Pauk Si from the vendor who had borrowed money from his parents and did not pay back in cash.
- Ko Moe Hein (Ajala, ChE69, who represented RIT in swimming and water polo) looked at me as if I was a Ghost.
He said, “I had taken the day off to bid you farewell. I did not hear any news from your brother (who worked at DI/HI) and felt sorry for you. If I don’t show up, there might not be people at your funeral.”
- Those who are young might not have heard about the Nigerian rabble-rouser / trouble maker named Ajala. Ko Moe Hein, with his loud voice, can overwhelm supporters from other teams in the Inter-Institute tournaments,
Short names are not unique. T
There are several others who share my name.
- H.E. U Hla Min (Minister)
- U Hla Min (Moosaji, SPHS Saya, RUBC Gold)
- Bohmu Dr. Hla Min (Eddie, RUBC Gold)
- Dr. Hla Min (Tommy, OG)
- U Hla Min (Ko Pauk, PWD)
- Bogyoke Hla Min (Kenneth, MI)
- U Hla Min (Writer)
“Tone Kyaw” Han Sein
- Graduated with Civil Engineering in 1969.
- Senior from the Class of 69, but he is physically and mentally active.
- Represented RIT in Swimming, Water Polo and Basketball.
- He is a Tone Kyaw.
- In 1999, the Class of 69 organized a Reunion and mini-SPZP for the 30th Anniversary of Graduation. The organizers compiled an address / phone book for the 69ers and also listed GBNF (Gone But Not Forgotten).
He was inadvertently listed as GBNF.
- Only a few close friends might know that he was “whisked away” by Adhamma authorities and sentenced him to 20 years in a kangaroo court for his “involvement” in 8-8-88 related activities.
He was released after 17 years when “Lut Nyein Chan Thar Kwint” (Amnesty) was proclaimed.
- He suffered losses / relations during and after his “Waso”.
- He never lost heart.
- Attends the 69er gatherings regularly and also serves as photographer.
Happily tries out the camera tricks (e.g. creating twins) and posts the photos on the RIT69ers FB page.
- Active as Leader (“A Pho Gyi“) for the social and religious activities in the Latha area.
“Tone Kyaw” Dr. Tin Hlaing
- Joined the Mechanical Engineering Department in 1963.
- His colleagues and friends would call him “Byte” Tin Hlaing or “R” Tin Hlaing, since there was a senior Saya U Tin Hlaing (M59, GBNF) who headed the Agri Engineering sub-Department.
- The elder saya passed away untimely because he could not get access to the two dialysis machines (reserved for VIP) and he could not get passport / visa in time to get medical treatment abroad. Those were the days.
- Dr. Tin Hlaing moved to Singapore.
- Co-chaired SPZP-2002.
- A few years ago, he became a Tone Kyaw.
Another Dr. Tin Hlaing (Marine Technology) passed away in Singapore, and some RIT alumni sent condolences to their saya.