- After years of yearning for an independent University in Burma, the Rangoon University Act of 1920 resulted in the establishment of the University of Rangoon with Rangoon College and Judson College as the constituent colleges.
- Several students were unhappy with the restrictions and decided to hold a boycott (strike) on December 7, 1920.
- Someone leaked the news, so the protests started on December 5, 1920.
- The strike resulted in the establishment of Ah Myo Tha Kyaung (National Schools) and Ah Myo Than Kaw Leik (National College).
- The Burmese date (10th Waning day of Tazaungmon) is used for the Celebration of Ah Myo Tha Aung Pwe Nay.
- Saya U Ba Toke was born as a Phwa Bet Taw of RU and the First RU Student Strike.
- He had a glorious career as a scholar, administrator and athlete.
- He is the saya of most sayas and early engineering students (including Saya Dr. Aung Gyi).
- He was an outstanding footballer and later managed the RU and Burma Olympic Teams.
- Saya Dr. Khin Maung Swe (Maung Thin Char) interviewed Sayagyi and recorded six audio tapes.
Sayama Daw Myint Myint Khaing (daughter of Arzani Mahn Ba Khaing) transcribed the tapes.
Saya added information about the early RU and Sayagyi’s contemporaries in the book (presented to Sayagyi as the 80+ birthday present from the RU Thin Char Ah Thinn).
Sayagyi gave me an autographed copy of the book during one of my visits to pay Garawa to him.
Saya Dr. Khin Maung Swe passed away on June 7, 2020.
RU Centennial Group
- Formed by Dr. Nyi Thet Lwin on September 11, 2019.
- 14 founding members including his elder brother U Aung Mon.
- His father Saya Dr. Soe Win (Retired Rector, YUFL) invited me to the group.
- After contributing a few posts, Dr. Nyi Thet Lwin asked me to be a Moderator.
- For a couple of months I provided 30+ “Overview of the posts”.
- Created Albums and Photo Essays.
- Visited Singapore in late October 2019 to have a reunion with former colleagues and students.
- Visited Myanmar from November 2019 to mid-January 2020.
- Attended the 5th Irrawaddy Literary Festival in Mandalay in November 2019.
Member of two panels.
- Attended the 6th Acariya Pu Zaw Pwe of ICST and UCSY
- Attended the Golden Jubilee of Graduation of RIT69ers
- Attended the RUBC/YUBC Annual Regatta
- Attended the “Yar Pyay Ah Kyo” event
- Attended mini-gatherings
Dinner by Daw Hazel Kyaw Zaw
49th Anniversary of Saya Dr. Soe Win and Sayama Daw May Saw Lwin
- Invited to join the six-city 2020 PSA Tour.
- During my sabbatical, the group and the number of posts grew astronomically.
- There are 30000+ members.
Many are active.
- Received feedback on-line and in-person.
- I met face-to-face with Saya Dr. Soe Win, Sayama Daw May Saw Lwin, Ko Aung Mon, Dr. Lay May Yin, Daw Kyi Kyi May (Hazel Kyaw Zaw) — to name a few.
- I became friends with Dr. Nyi Thet Lwin, Saya Dr. Maung Maung Nyo, Daw Molly Mya Saw Shin, members of Professional Speakers’ Association (PSA, Myanmar), not so old Old Paulians and some not-so-old Old Members of RUBC/YUBC.
- I learned that “It’s indeed a small world”.