- Dr. Hla Bu was Professor of Philosophy and Psychology at Rangoon University.
Later, Rangoon University established Philosophy and Psychology as separate departments.
- Philosophy is derived from “Phil” (meaning Love [of]) and “sophy” (meaning wisdom).
- Advanced degrees often have “Philosophy” (to mean “Love of wisdom”). They include
Ph.D (Doctorate in Philosophy)
M.Phil (Master of Philosophy)
- Under the then new Education (starting in 1964), some students with “low” ILA (Intelligence Level Aggregate) were “assigned” to study Philosophy.
- Ko Win Myint, who was a High School Luyechun from Myeik (Mergui), ended up studying Philosophy, but he did not lose heart and eventually became a computer programmer.
- The New Education System led to the end of Liberal (well-rounded) education.
- Dr. Khin Maung Win was Professor of Philosophy.
He served as Minister of Education in the BSPP era.
- U San Lwin was a Lecturer, but he was also known as author (e.g. famous Philosophers), hypnotist, movie director, and monk (discussing comparative religion)
- Nanda Thein Zan was a well-known author.