Burmese Female Scholars
The list is partly based on a special broadcast by BBC, which covered the early Burmese female scholars that studied for their Masters and Doctorates (mostly in the UK and the US). Additional details are provided by friends and relatives (including Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint, Dr. Yan Naing Lwin, Dr. Kyaw Tint, Dr. Richard Yu Khin and Uncle U Thein Han).
- Daw Mya Sein (History)
- Daw Ma Ma Khin (Nutrition)
- Daw Khin Khin Gyi (Education)
- Dr. Thinn Kyi (Geography) — aunt of Ko Theikdi
- Dr. Thaung Blackmore (History) — aunt of Dr. Richard Yu Khin
- Dr. Yi Yi (History)
- Dr. Khin Hla Han (History) — daughter of Saya U Thein Han (Zawgyi)
- Dr. Khin Mya (Education)
- Dr. Saw Yi (Education)
- Dr. K Mya Yi (Education)
- Dr. Khin Nyo Nyo (Eco/Commerce)
- Dr. Khin Ohn Thant (Eco/Commerce)
- Dr. Yi Yi Chit Maung (Commerce) — sister of Saya U Tin Htut
- Dr. Kyi May Kaung (Political Economics) — daughter of Sithu U Kaung
- Dr. Khin San Yi (Eco/Commerce)
Political Science, Literature, Library Science and Journalism
- Dr. Emma Ba Yoke Nyunt Han (Political Science)
- Dr. Khin Mya Kyu (Literature)
- Dr. Khin Lay Myint (Literature, French) — daughter of Journal Gyaw Ma Ma Lay
- Dr. Khin Thet Htar (Library Science) — compiled magnum opus of Health Professionals in Burma (with her spouse Saya Dr. Mya Tu)
- Dr. Marjarie Tin Nyo (Journalism) — daughter of Nation U Law Yone
- Dr. Linsday (Zoology)
- Dr. Yi Yi (Botany)
- Dr. Mya Mya Nu (Zoology, Ornithology)
- Dr. Yin Yin Nwe (Geology, Earth Science)
- Dr. Hla Hla Sein (Mathematics)
- Dr. Mya Mya Than (Botany)
- Dr. Khin Mya Mya (Physics)
- Dr. Khin Sein (Botany)
- Dr. Khin Khin Kyi (1) (Pharmacology)
- Dr. Khin Khin Kyi (2) (Microbiology)
- Dr. Khin Ma Gyi (Pharmacology)
- Dr. San Yi (Physiology)
- Dr. Marlar Maung (Microbiology)
Some countries offer C.Sc. (Candidate of Science).
Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint added :
Although not doctorates, first in their fields:Fields of study of medicine:
Dr. Daw Saw Hsa, FRCS, surgery
Dr. Daw Yin May, FRCS, FRCOG, FRCP (only Burmese Doctor to be conferred fellowships from three different colleges).
Dr. Daw Khin Kyi Kyi (pharmacology)
Dr. Daw Khin Kyi Kyi 2 (microbiology)
Dr. Khin Ma Gyi (pharmacology)
Dr. Daw San Yi (physiology)
Dr. Daw Marlar Maung (microbiology) younger sister of Alumnus Khin Maung Maung (Burma Navy) (SPHS 1960)
Prof. Daw Phae (Mrs. Yu Khin) microbiology
Prof. Daw Myint Myint Khin, BA English, FRCP Edin: Professor of Medicine writer and poet, Medical educationalist
Prof. Daw Hla Kyi, FRCOG, MMSA. She was the only OB-GYN with Master of Midwifery of the Society of Apothecaries.
Dr. Yan Naing Lwin wrote :
Daw Hla Hla Sein — who taught Mathematics at RIT and is a sister of Daw Myint Myint Sein (M70) — received M.A in math from University of Indiana, Bloomington, Ind . and Ph.D. in mathematics from University of Illinois , U-C. She passed away about 2 years ago in Pasadena, Ca.
Mimi Aung – received her BS & MS degrees in EE from University of Illinois, U-C. She has been the program manager for NASA Mars helicopter project at JPL – Pasadena.
Doris Chan – received her BS , MS & Ph.D. degrees in EE from University of Illinois, U-C. Currently at BAE systems.
Angel Chan – received her BS in Chemistry & Biology from Western Illinois University Ph.D. in Material Science & MD degrees from University of Illinois, U-C Currently at John Hopkins University
Dr. Kyaw Tint wrote :
Daw May Su, received Master of Science in Nuclear Physics. Based on my conversation with her, I noticed her University was in London, but could not recall the name. She passed away in Northern California several years ago.
There is also another lady named Dr. Khin Mya Mya, PhD in Physics, I think from Australia in 1970s.
Dr. Daw Khin Sein of Botany was my English teacher of proficiency course at IFL. Her high school was in Darjeeling and the PhD was most likely from Britain.
U Thein Han wrote :
Professor Daw Kyu Kyu Swe, MBBS, MRCOG, Mandalay Medical College (spouse of Professor Dr. Pe Thein).