- Born on February 13, 1915.
February 13 is also known as “Khalay Mya Nay” (Childrens’ Day).
- Zartar name : Htain Lin
- Preferred name : Aung San since it rhymes with Aung Than (his elder brother).
- Alternate names : Thakin Aung San, Bo Teza
- Spouse : Daw Khin Kyi
- Children :
Aung San Oo
Aung San Lin (GBNF)
Aung San Suu Kyi
- Received Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Secretary, Rangoon University Students Union
- Editor, Oway Magazine
Expelled from RU for refusing to disclose the author of “Hell Hound At Large“
- Quit studying for Bachelor of Law (BL) to concentrate on politics
- Architect of Burma’s Independence
- Assassinated on July 19, 1947
July 19 is also known as “Arzani Nay” (Martyrs’ Day).
- Public Mourning at Jubilee Hall
- Laid to rest at Mausoleum near Shwe Dagon Pagoda
I wrote the following for Bogyoke Aung San’s Centennial Celebration in the San Francisco Bay Area.
(February 13, 1915 – July 19, 1947)
A — Architect of Burma’s Independence;
He signed the Aung San – Atlee Agreement.
It led to the Nu — Atlee Agreement that gave Independence.
U — University Student Leader;
He served as Chief Editor of the Oway Magazine.
He refused to name the author of “Hell Hound Turned Loose”.
He was expelled, resulting in the 1938 Universities Student Strike.
He translated “Invictus“.
N — National Unity & Solidarity Proponent;
He organized the Panlong (Pinlon) Agreement.
The agreement was signed on February 12, 1947.
February 12 is celebrated as Pyi Daung Su Nay.
G — Gone but not forgotten;
He was a General, but he promised to step down after Independence.
He was gunned down at the tender age of 32.
S — Showed leadership & personal sacrifice;
He wore torn uniforms.
He ate Pebyoke and Nanbya.
A — Anti Fascist People’s Freedom League (AFPFL);
He was a Co-founder.
N — National Planning Advocate;
He displayed Nationalism and Patriotism by deeds and not words.
Dark days in July
Azrani Nay / Martyrs’ Day