Had a wonderful time in Myanmar in Janaury and February, 2018.
- 5th Acariya Pu Zaw Pwe for ICST/UCSY
- Paid respect to Saya U Soe Paing
- Paid respect to Saya U Moe Aung
- Last rites at Ye Way for Ko Aung Moung (M73)
- Guest lecture at UCSY
- Guest lecture at MARB
- Guest lectures at private monk university
- Monthly meeting of 1st BE Intake of 64 and 65
- RITAA meeting (includes Opening Ceremony of Teacher’s Corner
- Discussion with Ko Wynn Htain Oo and Sayama Daw Thida
- 69er breakfast gathering organized by Ko Shwe (EP69)
- Birthday celebration by Ko Tin Mg Aye (M69)
- Birthday soon kway by Ko Kyaw Win (SPHS63, Germany) for Uzin Victor Aung Chaw
- UCC lunch gathering hosted by Ko Soe Myint and Ko Sein Myint
- Gatherings with relatives
- Meeting old friends
The 5th Acariya PuZaw Pwe of ICST (Institute of Computer Science and Technology) and UCSY (University of Computer Studies Yangon) was held in January 2018.
Former students from UCC (Universities’ Computer Center), DCS (Department of Computer Science) and ICST (Institute of Computer Science and Technology) requested me to attend the 5th Acariya Pu Zaw Pwe of ICST/UCSY.
San Yin Myint (Samanta), one of the organizers for the Pu Zaw Pwe, is a niece of Saya U Win Kyaing (GBNF) and a cousin of Ko Maurice Chee, M75.
Per arrangement of Samantha, Ko Saw Yan Naing came and picked me up. He is the son of Dr. Saw Naing (Leslie), a nephew of Dr. Myo Khin and a cousin of Ko Soe Lin Maung (ex-UCC).
Gave a short speech as a member of “Generation Zero of UCC”.
The SPZP was held in five batches. As a member of “Generation Zero of UCC”, I covered some milestones of the Introduction of Computers to Burma under the leadership of Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe.
Ma Nge (Daw Nge Ma Ma Than, GBNF) attended the SPZP.
ICST/UCSY published a commemorative magazine for the 30th Anniversary of the founding of UCC. I wrote “Paying Back to My Alma Mater” (a summary of the 30+ posts about UCC) for the issue.
Gave a guest lecture at UCSY a week later.
Spent 3 (or more) days of my vacation to write and post “Memories of UCC”. I also wrote an abridged version for publication in the 30th Anniversary of UCSY. They can be read at hlamin.com
Mu Mu Myint
Sayama is a senior alumni of UCC and DCS. She requested her husband to drive a long way from their home to hand over the “token garawa” from an earlier “Thet Kyee Pu Zaw Pwe”.
Soe Lin Maung
Hosted a lunch micro-gathering (despite his busy schedule).
Met four Myint’s, who are UCC alumni.
Ko Sein Myint (EC76, ex-UCC) and Ko Soe Myint (KSM, ex-UCC) hosted a lunch gathering at Kone Myint Tha. Ko Aung Myint (AM), Ko Win Myint (Bo Waing) and Ma Nu Nu Aung were also present.
We then walked to Saya U Soe Paing’s house and paid respect to Saya (who was having a problem with his spine). Friends of Daw Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69, MEHS 63) advised Saya to undergo a surgery in Singapore.
Met Saya U Moe Aung, Ko Wynn Htain Oo (M72), Ko Ohn Khine (M70), several members of RITAA, and 69ers.
Attended three breakfast gatherings with the 69ers.
Donated US$100 (part to 69er HCF and part to EE 69er HCF).
I hosted the gathering (mostly EE) with Uzin Aung Chaw (C) and Wei Lu (Met) as guests.
Mini-gathering hosted by me
During my visits to Myanamar, several friends gave me rides.
U Win Maung (Lake) gave a ride to three alumni:
- U Myint Maung (Bu, Volleyball)
- Ashin Okkantha (Uzin Aung Chaw, Victor) who came down from Sagaing Hills
- Yours truly
Since it was short notice, some former classmates could not show up.
A notable exception was U Win Thein Zaw (“Wai Lu”) who came down from Nay Pyi Taw at the breakfast gathering. His spouse is a cousin of U Win Boh (Robert).
- U Shwe (Treasurer of the 69er HCF and EE 69er HCF)
- U Sein Myint (Major donor of the HCFs, RIT Selected for Rowing, Swimming and Water Polo)
- Ashin Okkantha (Uzin Aung Chaw, Sagaing Hills)
- U Win Maung (Lake, RIT Selected for Swimming and Water Polo)
- U Hla Min (Host, also donated to the HCFs)
- U Myat Soe Lwin (Sai Hwet, Survived a fall from the ceiling)
- U Win Thein Zaw (Member of Pyithu Hluttaw in Nay Pyi Taw)
- U Kyi Win (Kyaw Gyi, former sea farer, yogi)
- U Myint Maung (Selected for EE Volleyball, One of the youngest 69er, Eligible bachelor)
Ko Tin Maung Aye (M, Accordion) hosted a gathering to celebrate his birthday.
The gathering on February 24, 2018 was to welcome Ko Win Boh (Robert) and Ko Surinder Singh — both from Australia. Unfortunately, Ko Surinder could not wrap up his trip to Upper Burma to be in time for the 69er gathering. Ko Kyaw Nyunt organized a lucky draw with presents given by Ko Frederick Thetgyi.
Tiring, but interesting and entertaining to take three trips.
Phyu Phyu Kyaw (UCC) offered to sponsor me to spend two nights at a hotel in Bagan Myo Thit. Had been a long time since I visited Bagan / Nyaung Oo.
A sayadaw asked if I would like to attend a consecration ceremony for “Lyaung Daw Mu” (Reclining Pagoda) near the bank of Mu River (in Kanbalu Township, Sagaing).
My beloved wife wanted to do dana at Hinthada for her ancestors.
Learned a lot
I learned a lot from the trips by being a “good” listener and also experiencing the conditions (infrastructure, culture, …) in different parts of Myanmar.
Cost more to take a taxi to and from the “Long distance bus station” than to travel by an air-conditioned bus.
Takes a lot longer to take the “short cut” road than to take the longer “paved” road. It’s worse if one is not aware of “unfinished” repair work on a dirt road : sharp rocks, pot holes, …
Ha Lin (Old Capital of Pyu) is a Cultural Heritage, but there are no “good” roads leading there.
Someone commented : “Most of us just make quick trips to pagodas. Several tourists hire motorbikes to explore both Old and New Bagan (and beyond). They take photos with professional cameras.”
Kyaw Wynn (SPHS63) is cousin of Saya U Tin Htut (M) and Sayama Daw Khin Khin Chit Maung (E).
Rowed No. (3) on the Bow side in our Senior Novice crew.
Hosted a birthday soon kwyay gathering at Shwe Ba Saing.
Offered soon to Uzin Aung Chaw (C69) and donated to Uzin’s dhamma projects.
Ordered lunch for his old classmates (some of whom I have not seen since our University days).
Attendees include Ko Than Win (M69), Ko Tin Tun (M69), Ko Khin Maung Bo (Alan, EP69), Ko Aung Kyi (Arthur, “motorcycle” guy), Ko Aye Ngwe (Edwin), Ko Khin Maung Zaw (Frank, UK), and Ko Myint Soe (Benjamin, US).