- Dr. Chit Swe
- * Saya Chit in Sydney
- * Saya Chit in Singapore
- U Soe Paing
- * Saya Paing in Milpitas
- * Saya Paing in Singapore
- Early Days at UCC
- * ICL 1933 Line Printer
- * DAC
- * Donlaba
- * Culinary Experts
- * Dobat
- * Course
- * Gathering with Former Students
- * Gathering in 2007
- * Daw Nge Ma Ma Than and Company
- * Gathering in 2017
- * Gathering in 2018
- U Khin Maung Zaw (KMZ)
- * KMZ in Yangon
- * KMZ in South San Francisco
- * KMZ in Cupertino
- Dr. Rafiul Ahad
- * Rafi’s Grand Niece’s Birthday
- * Rafi in New Jersey
- U Than Tun and U Myint Lwin (Charlie)
- Dr. Tun Aung Gyaw
- * U TAG in Boston
- * U TAG’s Dhamma Dana
- * U TAG’s Birthday in New Jersey
- Comments from U Thaung Tin
Dr. Chit Swe
- Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe founded the Universities Computer Center (UCC) with the help of Saya U Soe Paing, Saya U Myo Min and Saya U Ko Ko Lay.
- During his tenure as Director of UCC and Professor of Mathematics (RASU), he established degree and diploma courses in Computer Science and Applications with the help of visiting Professors and Computer Scientists from US, UK and Europe.
- He retired as Rector of RASU.
- He taught in Thailand before moving to Australia.
- He helped supervise Burmese with their graduate studies in Thailand and Australia.
- During my visit to Sydney in 2006, Saya U Aung Zaw hosted a gathering to pay respect to Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe and Sayagyi Dr. Freddie Ba Hli (GBNF).
- Sayagyi gave seminars in Singapore and Myanmar.
Saya Chit in Sydney
The UCC alumni in Sydney paid respect to Sayagyi several times a year.
- Saya Dr. Chit Swe and Daw Khin Khin Latt
- Saya U Aung Zaw and Daw Kyawt
- U Sein Myint Maung and Daw Khin Aye Mu
- U Htay Aung and Daw Tin Tin Hlaing
Saya Chit in Singapore
U Soe Paing
- Saya Paing was my mentor at RIT and UCC.
- He recruited us to join UCC.
- During my UCC days, Saya allowed U Aung Zaw and me to be his co-authors for the teaching materials.
- After retiring from UN, Saya spent his time
meditating at Kaba Aye Sun Lun Gu Kyaung
visiting his children and grand children in UK and US
Saya Paing in Milpitas
- During Saya’s trip to California, he visited Saya U Tin Maung Nyunt (M60) in Milpitas.
- Saya Paing, Saya U Tin Maung Nyunt, Saya Allen Htay (C58, GBNF) and Saya U Ko Ko Lay (UCC, GBNF) were on the same ocean liner on their return trip from the US to Burma.
Saya Paing in Singapore
- Saya visited Singapore several times to
spend time with former colleagues and students
have medical check up and treatment
- Saya Paing and Sayagadaw Daw Saw Yu Tint (T69) are seen with Saya U Tu Myint (M), U Tint Lwin (Daniel, M69) and James Than (RIT Tennis).
Early Days at UCC
- The UCC project was funded by UNDP and executed by UNESCO.
- The details can be found in Saya Paing’s article “Computer Ah Sa UCC Ga”
ICL 1933 Line Printer
- The newspaper clipping shows the test run of ICL 1902S computer system (including the ICL 1933 Line Printer) on 29th December, 1972.
- I was one of the three hardware engineers at UCC at the time.
Later, I became a software engineer.
- With the Department of Mathematics (RASU), UCC offered a postgraduate Diploma in Automatic Computing (DAC).
- The photo shows eleven DAC students.
They worked at UCC and Computer Departments (e.g. Central Statistical Organization (CSO) and Five Star Line (FSL).
Several are now GBNF (Gone But Not Forgotten).
- Saya Paing and CO were the first to become temporary monks at Kaba Aye Sun Lun Gu Kyaung where U Wara (U Win Paing, ChE70) was “Taik Oke Sayadaw” — second in command to Sayadaw U Vinaya (GBNF).
- I did meditation at Sun Lun, and joined in the Thingyan Su Paung Yahan Khan as a temporary monk or a volunteer.
One year, I managed to persuade several UCC employees to join me.
- The UCC Donlaba tradition began.
U Soe Mying (M72, Retired Pro-Rector of ICST) is GBNF.
- UCC offered soon to the Donlaba.
- U Win Hlaing led the UCC Dobat troupe.
- The members include Maung Myint, U Hla Pe, …
- Dr, Tin Maung (GBNF) succeeded Dr. Chit Swe as Director of UCC.
- UCC offered several training courses
Six-month Part-time courses (for programming)
Four-month Full-time courses (for programming)
Short term courses for State Scholars
With Former Students
- U Aung Zaw Myint
- U Nyan Mor
- U Kyaw San Wynn
- Daw Pyone
- Saya U Soe Paing and Sayagadaw Daw Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69) hosted several gatherings to welcome UCC alumni from abroad.
- U Htin Kyaw (Peter) attended the gathering.
He provided a ride back home for me.
- U Soe Myint Gyi and Daw Nge Ma Ma Than are GBNF.
Daw Nge Ma Ma Than and Company
- U Maung Maung Gyi and Daw Nge Ma Ma Than are GBNF.
- There have been some formal gatherings (e.g. 40th Anniversary of UCC) and many informal gatherings.
- Dr. Soe Than, Daw San Yu Hlaing and Daw Phyu Phyu Kyaw — from the USA — and U Zaw Tun (Singapore) are seen with the UCC alumni from Myanmar.
- U Khin Maung Zaw (EC76, USA) is seen with the UCC alumni from Myanmar including U Soe Win (EC70), U Thein Oo, U Aung Myint, U Maung Maung Gyi and U Myint Oo.
- On my behalf, my spouse attended the UCC Gathering held at MICT Park.
Khin Maung Zaw (KMZ)
KMZ in Yangon
- U Ngwe Soe (Silver, Singapore) was present at the gathering.
- U Than Tun spends time between California and Yangon.
- U Maung Maung Gyi is GBNF.
- U Thet Lwin moved back to Yangon after working in Singapore and Thailand.
KMZ in South San Francisco
- KMZ is an alumni of SPHS, RIT and UCC.
- He is a founding member of RIT Alumni International, and a core organizer for SPZP-2000 along with Benny Tan (M70) and Maurice Chee (M75).
- The restaurant has a view of planes flying in and out of SFO (San Francisco International air port).
KMZ in Cupertino
- KMZ and family stayed at the place of U Khin Zaw (KZ).
- KZ is the younger brother of U Soe Myint (former Chief Editor of Guardian and several newspapers, father-in-law of KMZ, GBNF), U Soe Win (EC70) and U Kyaw Zaw (EC72, GBNF).
Dr. Rafiul Ahad
- Rafiul was a Track and Field star at SPHS and RASU.
He attended the Training Camp for SEAP games.
Unfortunately, only two Burmese athletes can compete in a SEAP event (e.g. Hurdles). He placed third in the Hurdles and hence could not represent Burma in the SEAP games.
- He studied Computer Science at UCC, AIT and USC.
- He worked for several Tech companies including Ingres, HP and Oracle (where he is a Vice President of Oracle Cloud Computing).
- He was a Commencement Speaker at AIT.
- He hosted several UCC gatherings (especially for Saya Paing’s visit to the SF Bay Area).
Rafi’s Grand Niece’s birthday
- U Aung Thin (Faisal) is Rafiul’s elder brother.
He is also an Old Paulian.
- He invited us to attend the birthday party of his grand daughter.
Rafi in New Jersey
For nearly a decade, Ivan Lee (Khin Maung Oo, M69) has hosted UCC-RIT gathering to welcome Saya Dr. Aung Gyi and Saya U Soe Paing.
- Saya U Soe Paing and Ma Alice
- Dr. Rafiul Ahad and Frances
- Dr. Tun Aung Gyaw and Daw Khin Maw Maw
- U Toung (Tom) and Daw Khin Myint
- U Tin Ohn
- U Mya Aung
- Sao Mon Sint (Cindy)
U Than Tun and U Myint Lwin (Charlie)
- U Myint Lwin (Charlie) represented Burma in Judo.
- He had several micro-reunions with U Than Tun in the SF Bay Area.
Dr. Tun Aung Gyaw
- U TAG (EC69) and I were members of “UCC Generation Zero”.
- We worked for UCC, DCS and ICST.
- We had several mini-reunions.
- The photos were taken during the whirlwind trip organized by Ivan Lee to visit Canada and East Coast.
- U TAG and Ma Maw hosted a dinner.
- U TAG took us to MIT and Harvard.
U TAG in Boston
U TAG’s Dhamma Dana
- U TAG and Ma Maw donated a book as Dhamma Dana.
- U TAG is still working (often on multiple projects).
U TAG’s Birthday in New Jersey
Comments from U Thaung Tin (EC83, KMD) :
Thank you for bring up good old memories of UCC. Pity I was not in any of those photos.I can’t imagine how could one has made 2000 posts.
Kudos to you.
Will ask Tyn Tyn Aye to look for anything recorded during our UCC days.
We have been struggling in early years and did not manage to make a proper record.