SPHS and RUBC
- Matriculated from SPHS in 1953.
- Won Senior Novices at the RUBC Regatta in 1953.
- Coxed the Old Paulian crew which won Senior Novices at the RUBC Regatta in 1954. The crew members : U Tun Shein (Willie Saing, Stroke), M Hla Min (Moosaji, No. 3), Dr. Than Nyunt (George, No. 2) and Sao Hso Holm (Sawbwa Lay, Box).
He and three crew members later became RUBC Gold.
- Served as Captain of RUBC.
Due to heavy involvement in RUBC, he decided to take a sabbatical.
- Attended 1st Year Engineering at BOC College in 1955.
- Graduated B.Sc (Mechanical Engineering), University of Rangoon in March 1960.
- Joined the Faculty of Engineering, University of Rangoon (Leik-Khone) as Assistant Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering in May 1960.
- Attended Technische Hochschule Darmstadt, W. Germany in 1961/62 as a state scholar.
- Worked as a Manager in Rangoon Textile Mills Co. Ltd. from 1962 – 65.
- Rejoined the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, RIT in September 1965.
- Studied Engineering Production at the University of Birmingham, UK in 1968/69.
- On return to RIT, lectured Industrial Management to 5th and Final Year students.
- Immigrated to the USA in May 1978.
- Worked in the Aircraft Division, Northrop Corporation, Hawthorne, CA in August 1978.
- With Leave of Absence from Northrop, worked as UNIDO Project Management Adviser in Khartoum, Sudan in 1981/82.
- Retired early from Northrop in September 1992.
Children: Saynne Tin Htut and Aung Aye Htut.
Grand children : Three
Editor’s Note :
Saya’s parents were entrepreneurs in the Textile industry (e.g. Khuit Ah Kyaik Nylon), production and distribution of movies (e.g. Ah Myotha Yoke Shin, Carlton Cinema)
Saya served as Captain of RUBC as a student, and later served as a Saya Administrator. He was an organizer of several RUBC Jubilee and Anniversary regattas.
Despite having a bypass [heart] surgery, Saya was actively involved in BASES, which he co-founded with U Tin Htway (M59) and U Tun Tin (David).
Saya was a member of the Steering Committee for SPZP-2000. He contributed not only to the general Saya Pu Zaw Pwe fund, but also to the special fund for inviting Sayagyi U Ba Toke from Myanmar.
Saya served as Financial Controller for the 2015 RIT Alumni Reunion in Los Angeles.
Ma Irene was Ko Maurice’s teacher back in Methodist English High School (MEHS)
Saya U Tin Htut was Ko Maurice’s lecturer in the 5th B.E. “Industrial Management” course. All the skills learnt are being used effectively by Ko Maurice, Financial Controller for the “Reunion and Saya Pu Zaw Pwe” and also Publisher of the “RIT Alumni International Newsletter” Special Issue.
Saya’s donations include
- K10 Lakhs to Swel Daw Yeik Foundation
- K100 to YTU Library Project
- All Mechanical Gathering
- RUBC Gathering
- Saya hosted me for one weekend.
- Ko Than Saung (M72) took us in Saya’s car to attend the Annual BASES Dinner.
- The following day we went to an Ah Hlu at La Puente Monastery where we took a group photo with Saya Dr. Tin Win (M62), U Tun Aung (Jeffrey, EC68) and U Htaik San (Henry, M81).