- Bogyoke Aung San was born on February 13, 1915.
February 13 is also known as “Khalay Myar Nay” (Children’s Day).
- He was named Htain Lin, but he changed his name to Aung San to rhyme with that of his elder brother Aung Than.
- His non-de-plume during the “Thirty Comrades” days was Bo Teza.
- He was assassinated on July 19, 1947.
July 19 is also known as “Arzani Nay” (Martyrs’ Day).
- Spouse : Daw Khin Kyi
- Children : Aung San Oo, Aung San Lin (GBNF), Aung San Suu Kyi
I wrote the following in 2015 for the Centennial Celebration of his birthday.
(February 12, 1915 – July 19, 1947)
A — Architect of Burma’s Independence;
Signed the Aung San – Atlee Agreement.
It led to the Nu — Atlee Agreement that gave Independence.
U — University Student Leader;
Served as Chief Editor of the Oway Magazine.
Refused to name the author of “Hell Hound Turned Loose”.
Was expelled, resulting in the 1938 Universities Student Strike.
N — National Unity & Solidarity Proponent;
Organized the Panlong Agreement / Pinlon Sar Choke
Agreement was signed on February 12, 1947.
February 12 is celebrated as Pyi Daung Su Nay / Union Day
G — Gone but not forgotten;
General, who promised to step down after Independence.
Gunned down at the tender age of 32.
S — Showed leadership & personal sacrifice;
Wore torn uniforms.
Ate Pebyoke and Nanbya.
A — Anti Fascist People’s Freedom League (AFPFL);
N — National Planning Advocate;
Displayed Nationalism and Patriotism by deeds and not words.