Update : March 25, 2020
Some one said,
“Life is not fair, but do not care.
Respond to life’s challenges.
Do not react.”
- Paying respect to Sayas is a tradition that is unique to Myanmar.
- The tradition is alive and well.
- There have been seven world wide SPZPs :
SPZP-2002, SPZP-2007, SPZP-2010 (Singapore)
SPZP-2004, SPZP-2012, SPZP-2016 (Yangon)
- I was fortunate to be a Core Organizer for SPZP-2000 and a Coordinator for the remaining SPZPs.
Many alumni are active in the following:
- SDYF (Swel Daw Yeik Foundation)
- RITAA (RIT-YIT-YTU Alumni Association)
- NorCal RITAA (in the US)
- “History of Myanmar Engineering Education” was published in 2012.
- The project’s initiators included Saya U Soe Paing, Sayagyi U Ba Than and several sayas and alumni (See Acknowledgement in the Book)
- Saya U Aung Hla Tun and team compiled the book.
- Ko Ohn Khine (M70) and I compiled the CD Supplement for the HMEE-2012 book
- The draft for the first two sections were prepared by Saya U Soe Paing and team.
- Ko Ohn Khine translated Section 1 and summarized Section 2. The translations have been revised by Saya U Soe Paing.
- Saya U Aung hla Tun gave the copyright to RITAA.
- HMEE-2018 project is headed by Saya U Aung Hla Tun.
Project will revise / enhance the HMEE-2012 book.
Will cover the History of Engineering and Industries.
YTU Library Modernization Project
A decent Library is a requirement of the accreditation of YTU by Asean (and beyond).
Donations — large and small — are coming in.
Thanks to U Wynn Htain Oo (M72), Ma Nan Khin Nwe (83 Intake) and team.
The donors include
- U Khin Maung Tun (T78)
- Dr. Myo Khin (C70) and Daw Mya Nwe (C73)
- Daw Myint Myint (C69)
- Saya U Tin Htut (M60)
- James Shwe (M76) and Annette Shwe (A75)
- NorCal RITAA
- Alumni from Singapore, Australia and New Zealand
- The Library could have a section to help remember our beloved alma mater, our sayas and alumni activities.
- Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi endorsed Ko Benny Tan’s proposal to archive the mementos.
- Requested class representatives to record gatherings / activities.
Health Care Funds
- “Steeve and Helen Kay Health Care Fund for RIT Sayas and Sayamas”
- “Eye examination and assistance Fund provided by U Khin Maung Tun”.
- Balance of both funds have been handed over to Swel Daw Yeik Foundation.
- Other funds include 69er HCF, EE69er HCF, and those administered by the classes and groups (e.g. Combined 1st BE Intake of 64 and 65)
- RIT related Facebook pages
- RIT related Google groups
Saya Allen Htay (C58)
- Leader of the San Francisco Bay Area Alumni Group
- Co-founded “RIT Alumni International” which hosted SPZP-2000 and served as President.
- His article “Brother, can you spare US $500?” is a classic.
- Daw Mu Mu Khin hosted a lunch in memory of Saya on December 31, 2017.
- In memory of Saya Allen, Daw Mu Mu Kin donated Saya’s books to the YTU library.
Also sponsored scholarships for eligible YTU students.
- U Thaung Sein (Steeve, EC70)
- U Benny Tan (M70)
- U Khin Maung Oo (Ivan Lee, M69)
- U Tin Myint (David Ko, M67)
- U Maung Maung Than (M79)
The five Golden sponsors and other donors made sure U Nyo Win’s Act (requiring the organizers to chip in if SPZP-2000 will not have the minimum number of attendees) will not be needed.
- Completed two decades as Chief Editor of RIT Alumni International Newsletter
- Compiled posts for the Golden Jubilee of 69ers
Attended both events on December 14, 2019
- Writing and revising posts in hlamin.com
- Request help to transform into digital and/or printed books for posterity