Update : April 28, 2020
- His first nickname at the Institute of Economics was “Bo Gyoke” because he had his hair cut like Bogyoke Aung San.
- He would get involved in lots of activities thereby earning a second nickname “Bo Shoke” (One who gets his hands wet in things that are of no concern to him).
- He was a brilliant and talented student.
- He would “explain” the lectures in a room to his fellow students. Turnout to his “free tuition” was larger than that at the regular classes given by the sayas.
From IE to UCC
- Joined the Commerce Department at the IE as a tutor.
- When UCC was formed, it needed people with diverse skills.
U Mya Thein and U Thein Oo) transferred to UCC.
They became Business Application Programmer / Analyst.
They went for further studies in the United Kingdom.
- He retired as Manager of Business Applications.
Brilliant and outspoken
- Had a vast array of General Knowledge.
- Read books on religion, medicine, and engineering.
- Bo Shoke not only taught at UCC and IE, but he also lectured to the monks at ITBMU (International Theravada Buddhist Missionary University).
- Bo Shoke was outspoken.
During a visit to UCC, ministers and deputy ministers were standing and waiting for U San Yu.
Bo Shoke entered the room and shouted, “Sit down”.
All complied. (What a surprise!)
Like Father, Like Son
One day Bo Shoke’s father came to UCC. He carried a bunch of bananas. He asked U Tun Kywe, an army veteran serving as security, the office of Saya U Myo Min (Manager of the Business Applications Division). When he found out Saya Myo was not much older than Bo Shoke, he went downstairs and then gave the bananas to U Tun Kywe.