- In primary school at PPBRS (Private Primary Boundary Road School). we had to study “Mingalar Kabyar ” by Dagon U Tun Myint.
I received a Thermos Flask for successfully reciting the Kabyar.
- During our middle and high school days at SPHS (St. Paul’s High School), there was a class period when Catholic students take Catechism or go to the Chapel to pray.
- Students, who profess other religions, study “Morals and Manners”, “Sar Nar Kya Ni Ti” and other texts.
- In some classes we also studied Hygiene and “Pyi Thu Ni Ti”.
- A good education system does not promote “rote learning” or the idea that “some professions are above others”.
- Many students who stood Top in the Matriculation examination pursued their interests (e.g. Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Engineering, Medicine).
- A good system leads students to be “life long learners” and “ethical citizens”.
- In the early days, students from neighboring countries came to study at Rangoon University.
- RU undergraduate and graduate students excelled in their studies abroad.
- The students were good not only in academics but in other areas (sports, fine arts, …)
- Sad to see the decline of education and the destruction of values.
- Destroying the revered Students Union on July 8, 1962 is incomprehensible.
- Destroying a working education system is unbearable.
- Destroying the good will and ethics of people is lamentable.