- It amazes us that books (and even a book chapter) can change a person’s life.
- Salvatore Cioffi was working as a Chemist in the USA.
- He was from a devout Catholic family, and his elder brother was a Priest.
- He received a book present from his supervisor for Christmas.
- One of the chapters was “Dhammapada”.
After reading the chapter, Samvegha crept in.
He quit his job and then went on pilgrimage to the places sacred to Buddhism.
- In 1925, he was ordained in Bumra as a Buddhist monk named “U Lokanatha”.
- He published a booklet, “Why I became a Buddhist.”
- He wrote, “I became a Buddhist. My supervisor remained a Christian.”
- My maternal grand mother offered a monastery for U Lokanatha in Bawdigone (Windermere, Rangoon).
- U Lokanatha practiced Dhutanga.
He also preached and had Dhamma Dhuta missions to India and Ceylon
- Sayadaw gave dhamma talks in Mandalay and Maymyo.
Dr. Soni was a principal supporter.
- He paid respect to Myingyan Sun Lun Gu Kyaung Sayadaw.
The event is described in “Sun Lun Sayadaw’s Biography”.
- He corresponded with B. R. Ambedkar, the Indian Dalit (“untouchables”) leader.
- Sayadaw passed away in Maymyo on May 25, 1966.