- Some of our sayas (e.g. Dr. Aung Gyi, U Min Wun, U Maung Maung Than, U Khin Aung Kyi, U Soe Paing) applied for “States Scholar” before graduation.
- Some (e.g. U Sein Hlaing, U Tin Swe, U Allen Htay, Dr. San Hla Aung, U San Tun) joined the faculty and were selected to do post-graduate studies.
- Saya Dr. Yan Naing Lwin e-mailed me a copy of the “Burmese state scholars in the USA ’54”.
There were about 400 state scholars including Saya U Sein Hlaing and Saya U Tin Swe.
- An academic year usually spans two years.
e.g. 1968 – 1969 academic year
- To save space and time, I use the end year instead of the start year and end year
e.g. Class of 1969 (or simply Class of 69)
- In the early days, the Faculty of Engineering accepted students who had completed I.Sc. (two years of Intermediate of Science) with the “Pure Science” option with reasonable marks.
- The engineering classes are named 1st year of Engineering to Final (4th year of Engineering).
- There were no “Instructors” (but ONLY “Assistant Lecturers”) for the Faculty of Engineering.
They are “gazetted officers”.
- The Halls (e.g. Prome) would aggressively seek outstanding athletes (footballers, tennis players, rowers, …).
- U Chan Tha is Past Captain and Gold of RUBC Gold.
He played soccer for the Faculty of Engineering, Rangoon University and Burma.
- Under the then new Education system (in the mid 1960s), the positions for “Instructors” were created.
It meant, most sayas have to wait to become Assistant Lecturers.
- Ko Benny Tan (M 70) lent me a copy of the “RIT Handbook” for 1964.
I published the list of permanent and part-time sayas and sayamas in one of “RIT Alumni International Newsletter” updates.
- Saya U Moe Aung (EE) has old copies of “Hlyat Sit Sar Saung” and RIT Annual magazines.
He served as Chief Editor for both publications.
- Saya Charlie Kaw (Tex, GBNF) brought to USA projects of his final year students.
GBNF for UCC sayas and alumni
- Dr. Chit Swe (Founder / Director)
- Dr. Tin Maung (Director)
- U Ko Ko Lay (Co-founder)
- U Hla Min (EP70, Chief Operator)
- U Mya Thein (Business Applications)
- U Soe Thein (Business Applications)
- U Kyaw Nyein (Scientific Applications)
- U Win Naing (Scientific Applications)
- U Soe Myint (M72, Operations)
- U Khin Maung Aye (M73)
- U Shein Soe Myint (EC83)
- U Aung Aung Thein (EE 8x)
- U Hla Aye (Bhaimyar)
- U Myint Aung (Admin)
- Daw Win May Thaung
- Daw Kyu Kyu Lwin
- Daw Hla Hla Win
- Daw Khin Lay Myint (Admin)
- Daw Khin Mya Swe
- Daw Khin Toe Nyein
- Daw Thida Aung