- According to “Ripley’s Believe it or not”, a graveyard inscription has February 30th.
- The followers of Julius Caesar took away a day from February to make July (named after Julius Caesar) have 31 days instead of 30.
- The followers of Augustus Caesar took away a day from February to make August (named after Augustus Caesar) to have 31 days instead of 30.
- February became the shortest month of the calendar year with 28 days.
It was given back an extra day on a leap year.
- The earth takes about 365.2422 days to revolve round the sun, so the discrepancy became 0.9688 day every four years (or 97 days in 4 centuries).
- In Gregorian calendar, a leap year is defined as a non-century year that is divisible by 4, and a century year that is divisible by 400.
Latin terms for student
- Alumnus means “male student”
- Almuna means “female student”
- Alumni means “male students”
- Alumnae means “female students”.
- In modern usage, the term “alumni” applies to both male and female students.
- To save time and space, we use alum (or alumni) for all the four cases.