Update : April 20, 2020
In our younger days
- In our youth, it was fashionable in the movies and outside to smoke cigars, cheroots and cigarettes.
- There was no warning that “Smoking could be hazardous to your health”.
Gold Flake and Ludu
- Some did not smoke, but they bought used cigarette packs with brands such as Gold Flake and Ludu. Why?
- There was a campaign from Gold Flake and Ludu that they will give a lottery ticket for the specified number of packs purchased (e.g. 20). The top prize for “Aung Bar Lay Htee” at that time was one Lakh Kyats. If the top winning ticket was bought from Gold Flake or Ludu, the winner received an additional one Lakh Kyats. That was a sizeable amount of money.
- U Win Thein (M67, GBNF) — the indefatigable organizer — was from the Gold Flake Family.
- Saya U Hla Myint (Charlie, M65), Ko Michael Lim (C74), Ma Kyu Kyu Lin (“Bawlone”, T75), and Ko San Lwin (EC77) belong to the Ludu Family.
Ludu had a family band of musicians and vocalists (e.g. Dr. Thynn Thynn Lin) that made public performances at festivals.
There was another use of cigarette pack covers. There was a game where players take turns to put up one cover. If the top-most cover matches the cover immediately underneath, the player “wins” the pile of covers. Those who ran out of covers might decide to buy back some covers.