- November was the 9th month of the old calendar.
“Nov” means nine.
- November is the 11th month of the Gregorian calendar.
- November 1st is “All Saints Day“.
It is preceded by Halloween (which falls on October 31st).
- DST (Daylight Savings Time) requires resetting the clock according to “Spring forward. Fall back.”
Currently, DST is set back in Fall (Autumn) on the Sunday following Halloween.
- It is the Anniversary of my beloved parents.
- Three generations chose November 11 for their Wedding
- Dr. and Mrs. Chan Taik
- Daughter Ma Margaret Chan Taik and Dr. Myo Tint
- Granddaughter Ma Kay and Soe Min Oo (both EC 93)
- John F Kennedy (President of the United States) was assassinated in Dallas, Texas on November 22, 1963
- Conspiracy Theory about his assassination survives
- A few days earlier, President Kennedy gave his speech in Hoston, Texas :
“Before this decade is out, we will send men on the moon and bring them safely back to earth”
- Tazaundaing often fall around November.
- Kathein robe offering often take place in early November.
It must be held during one month following the Full Moon Day of Thadinkyut (which usually falls in October).
- November 11 is celebrated as Veterans Day in the USA.
- It is celebrated as Armistice Day in the UK and France.
- A hundred years ago, Truce was called between the Allied Forces and Germany.
- The Truce occurred at 11 AM, marking the event with three 11s.
- WWI (First World War) officially ended a year later with the controversial Versailles Treaty.
- The second Tuesday of November is scheduled for US Elections at the various levels.
- The Presidential Elections occur every four years.
- The mid-term elections occur every two years.
The House of Representatives serve two year terms.
One third of Senators are elected every two years.
- Local races foe Elections and Resolutions are held every year.
- Senators serve six year terms.
To ensure continuity in the Senate, the election of the Senators is staggered into three groups.
Commercialization of Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving falls on the fourth Thursday of November.
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday following Thanksgiving have massive sales.
Some companies start their “Black Friday” early in November.
- Several English words (e.g. November, Black Friday) have lost their original meaning.