- The 6th month of the old Roman calendar had 30 days.
- Renamed August in honor of Emperor Augustus Caesar
Given an extra day.
- August is the 8th month of the Gregorian Calendar.
Has 31 days.
Start of a long struggle to restore Democracy in Myanmar
- Sayadaw U Silananda (Rector, IMBTU) passed away on August 13, 2005
- My father-in-law passed away five decades ago.
GBNF in August
My spouse’s family
- My spouse lost four of her family members in August.
- Her father passed away in his mid-50s.
- Her mother passed away in her late-80s.
- Her elder brother passed away in his early 50s.
- Her nephew passed away a few days back in his mid-30s.
Sayadaw U Silananda
- Rector, IMBTU
Chief Resident Sayadaw of Dhammananda Vihara, Half Moon Bay, California
- Sayadaw passed away in his late-70s on August 13, 2005
- Served as Master of Ceremonies at Sayadaw’s Memorial Service.
- Served as Committee Member and Contributing Editor for “Paying Homage to Sayadaw U Silananda” Book.
- Accompanied Saya U Myat Htoo (C68, President, TBSA) carrying the box of Sayadaw’s ashes to be scattered from a yacht into the waters near Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
Birthdays in August
- Several birthdays in my extended family.
- Eldest sister
- Younger sister
- Grand daughter
- Yours truly
- Several cousins
Birthday Soon Kwyay in 2016
- In August 2016, U Maurice Chee (M75) organized a birthday soon kwyay for me at the Dhammananda Vihara in Half Moon Bay, California.
- The sayas and alumni presented me an Appreciation award.
- Daw Mu Mu Khin (spouse of Saya Allen Htay)
- U Myint Swe (EP74, NorCal RITAA)
- U Thein Naing (Patrick, La Phet Yay Waing member)
- One or more hosted an August-born Birthday Party.
Lunch Gathering in 2018
- In August 2018, U Patrick (Thein Naing) and Daw Mie Mie hosted a lunch gathering for the August born at Moss Beach Distillery.
- They gave me a best-seller book “The Greater Journey (Americans in Paris)” as birthday present.
- Daw Mie Mie translated several short stories of Ah Myothar Pyinnya Wun U Po Kyar. She plans to publish them as a book.
Is 8 lucky or unlucky?
- 8-8-88 (August 8, 1988) and the following days mark the hope and then despair of the people longing for the end of the Adhamma Era.
- Grapevine says that the event was inspired in part by numerologists who remembered the historic event (about Mingyi Yan Naung) in 888 Burmese Era and extrapolated the magic of No. 8 from three 8’s to four 8’s.
- Most Chinese think that the number 8 is lucky.
- For example, Beijing Olympics was opened on 8-8-08 (August 8, 2008).