- Old members of RUBC (Rangoon University Boat Club) are fondly known as Old Crocs (or Crocodiles).
- They cherish the motto “Row till you are dead” and the RUBC Song “Pull long and steady …”.
- During our RUBC days, there was an “Old Members Race” at the Monsoon and Annual Regattas.
- The contestants range from young Old Members to the iconic Past Champions.
- Some Old Crocs notably U San Maung (Gerald, GBNF) and Dr. Htut Saing (Harry, GBNF)) coached the members (especially the aspiring Golds).
Dr. Harry Saing led the RUBC crew in 1962 as Timing Stroke and Coach.
U San Maung told the aspiring Golds to practice with the Fixed Tub before rowing the boats.
- U Tin U, U Chan Tha, U Maung Maung Than Tun, Saya U Tin Htut, Saya Dr. Than Nyunt (George), U Tin Htoon, U Han Tin, Dr. Tin Wa, U Sein Htoon and U Thaung Lwin are Past Captain and Gold of RUBC.
- Dr. Donald Chan, U Tun Shein (Willie), U Tun Aung (George), U Than Tin, U Thura Thant Zin, and U Htaik San (Henry) are RUBC Golds.
- I was the last Executive Committee member to be elected democratically (and not selected by the higher authorities). I served as Treasurer and Vice Captain, and some “powers to be” prevented me from becoming Captain.
- Putting aside their bad judgement, I served as Contributing Editor of the Commemorative Issue of the 90th Anniversary of the founding of RUBC).
- I wrote Prelude for each section. I wrote three articles.
- I also donated for reprinting Sir Aurthur Eggar’s biography.
- The old crocs have their mini-reunions where ever possible. They also share memories of the precious photos (e.g. of U Chan Tha, Jimmy Saw Lwin, …)
- When RUBC was destroyed due to the ravages of war, the Old Crocs rebuilt the Club and provided physical, financial and spiritual support to the members to compete against the best from neighboring countries.
- Dr. Htut Saing (Harry) would fully support the RUBC crews competing in the FEARA Regatta in Hong Kong.
- Sad to note that there was apparently some disjoint between the really young members (who are busy with the competitions) and the really Old Members (especially who travel from abroad to attend the events).
- Hope YUBC members have better rapport with the Old Crocs.