Matriculation in 1963
- SPHS had five students in the Top Five (led by Khin Maung U and Min Oo), seven students in the Top Ten, and ten students in the Top Twenty.
- They all received Collegiate Scholarships with a monthly stipend of 75 Kyats (net 60 Kyats after the school fees).
Eighth Standard in 1961
- Min Oo (Kenneth Khine, SPHS63) stood Second in Burma in the Matriculation examination in 1963.
- Among the youngest in the class, but he was also among the brightest.
- Brother Felix (Brother Director)
- Brother Xavier
- Brother Anthony
- Saya U Sein
- Saya U Nyunt Maung
- Saya Beatson (now Uzin)
Min Oo can be seen sitting far right in the group photo taken in VIII (A) at SPHS.
- Grapevine says that he was reading a German book before entering the hall to take the Matriculation examination.
- He scored distinctions in English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
- One Tuition Saya challenged his students. “Ask your teachers to solve the problem. I will give you free tuition if you can provide the correct answer.”
One student asked Min Oo, who was enjoying a card game. Min Oo scribbled the answer during the card game.
The Tuition Saya had a “blown ego” and broke his promise to give the student a free tuition.
- Saya U Aung Sein (Retired Associate Professor of Mathematics) saw Min Oo get out of the Tutorial classes after a few minutes and yet had perfect score.
Saya decided to give challenging questions for a Tutorial.
Min Oo took longer time than the easier Tutorials, but most of the other students could not get a passing grade.
Lu Ye Chun Student and Staff
- Min Oo was selected Tekkatho Lu Ye Chun in his second year (in the summer of 1965)
- He was chosen as Saya for the Tekkatho Lu Ye Chun camp after he joined the Faculty.
- As a multiple Tekkatho Lu Ye Chun from IM(1), Dr. Khin Maung U (First in Burma in Matriculation of 1963) was present at two camps with Min Oo.
Ko Khin Maung U remembers Min Oo with a cigar trying to look like a Saya.
- Min Oo received two doctorates in Mathematics from Germany.
- He taught at McMasters University in Canada.
- He voluntarily retired in 2015.
- He also taught as a Visiting Professor in selected US Universities.
Dr. Nyan Taw (SPHS63) wrote :
Yes – Min Oo is the brightest. Proud to be his class mate. SPHS VIA group photo Min Oo also Khin Mg U sitting.