- Statistics was offered as an Option by the Economics Department, Rangoon University.
- Statistics became a separate Department under the Faculty of Social Science.
- Statistics later became a Department of the Institute of Economics.
- Saya Dr. Sundaram was the first Professor and Head of the Statistics Department.
- Saya Dr. Khin Maung Nyunt succeeded Saya Dr. Sundaram.
- Saya Dr. Myint Tin transferred to CSO.
- U Htin Kyaw (Peter Wun) and U Tun Shwe transferred to UCC as Application Programmer/Analyst.
- U Thet Tun and U Kyaw Myint were key personnel at National Planning and CSO.
There are different flavors of Statistics :
- Design of Experiment
- Domain dependent (Population, Medical, …)
Some basic operations are
- Collect data
SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Science) is an early software package.
Several programming languages provide statistical libraries and routines.
Statistics plays an important part in Data Mining, Big Data, and Deep Learning to name a few.
In the early days, some Rangoon University students (e.g. U Soe Myint, Chief Editor of Guardian) graduated with the Triple Mathematics (Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Statistics) option.