Several organizations and schools have mottoes.
SPHS (St. Paul’s High School)
- The school’s motto is “Labor Omnia Vincit”.
- It means “Hard work conquers everything”.
My Beloved Parents
- Their motto is “Anything that’s worth doing is worth doing well”.
- My mother would scold me lightly by saying “Eyes have you and you see not. Ears have you and you hear not.”
- She would tell us the story of Robert Bruce and the spider, and remind us “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try and try again.”
RUBC (Rangoon University Boat Club)
- The club’s motto of is “Row Till You Are Dead.”
- The background story is covered in Sir Arthur Eggar’s autobiography and in the commemorative issues for the 40th and 90th Anniversary of the founding of RUBC.
- RUBC members are used to the shout “Give her a ten” during a race (especially near the finish line), and also at the Close of the Awards Presentation at the Regatta.
- After a long day, in the tradition of RUBC, I shout, “Give her a ten”.
10 – 9 – 8 – 7 – 6 – 5 – 4 – 3 – 2 -1
- The motto may change over time.
- International Business Machines (IBM)’s slogan was “Think”.
- General Electric (GE)’s claim to fame was “Built to last.”